PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit First Impressions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Everyone.

I’m new to the world of Cypress Pioneer Kits and PSoC Creator so I thought I would take a few moments to feed back to any other ‘noobs’ in the community about my ‘Out of Box’ experience of the kit, now that I have had a chance to play with it.

I guess the first thing to say is that the PSoC 6 Pioneer kit box contains everything you need to get going: unlike some other vendor’s kits I have used before, there isn’t anything else you need to go out and get in order to start using it. That is something I appreciate.

Using the kit installer included with the PSoC 6 tools and documentation was a straightforward Windows install, so no problems there.

At this point, after the install, it can seem pretty daunting as there is what seems like a wall of PDF documentation available. While the ‘Quick Start Guide’ (a hard copy is also included in the kit box) provides a useful hardware map of the I/O connector pinouts, LEDs, buttons etc., I found the most useful document for getting my bearings with the kit and software tools was the kit guide (CY8CKIT-062-BLE_kit_Guide.pdf). This gives you an 'executive summary' so you can understand what hardware is on your board and quickly get PSoC Creator IDE to interact with it.

The PSoC 6 and EINK shield come pre-loaded with a nice example that, when you dissect it in the IDE, shows you how to both use CapSense data and write text data to the EINK screen.

There are two other application-scale examples. One uses CapSense with the CySmart BLE dongle for touch sensing data and the other uses them for proximity sensing data.

These examples are complex enough that you get a great opportunity to inspect the software libraries being used in ‘real’ applications. Which is pretty much where I am right now: getting my head round using the in-built PSoC component catalog and the software support libraries.

It’s been an interesting introduction to the world of Cypress tools and so far, I’m having fun with it!

About Me: I have a degree in Electronic Engineering and I have spent the majority of my career working with embedded technologies, especially in high-speed digital signal processing applications. I currently work for RS Components, who are celebrating 80 years of supplying industry - especially the electronics industry - in 2017. RS Components is an official distributor for Cypress Semiconductor where you can buy PSoC6 dev kits.

1 Solution
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Nice post to read, Cypress do a nice work with example projects and documenting them, at least better than other vendors.

About the complexity of the examples i will check those when it gets publicly available, just installed Creator 4.1 yesterday and it comes without support for PSoC6, so i guess you are one of the lucky customers who got early access .

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Nice post to read, Cypress do a nice work with example projects and documenting them, at least better than other vendors.

About the complexity of the examples i will check those when it gets publicly available, just installed Creator 4.1 yesterday and it comes without support for PSoC6, so i guess you are one of the lucky customers who got early access .

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback! I will post more of my experiences as I go along - hopefully, they will be useful to others.

It will be great if you can share your experiences, i don't know if it is possible but maybe on a "blog" style .

Looking forward to read about the new capabilities of PSoC6 from the user perspective (i'm a user too).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I order the PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit? Any special form/application to get early access?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

You can pre-order a kit here, PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit (CY8CKIT-062-BLE) PRE-ORDERS Available Now!

Let me know if you have other questions or need clarification.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've used PSoC4 and PSoC4BLE kits for a number of projects ranging from enviromental sensors to CapSense built into Wearables, and the kits are very well put together, but when coupled with PSoC Creator, they are a benchmark to the industry. The combination of GUI blocks for the inbuilt functions and auto-generated API libraries augmented by the copious examples means that the usual problems slowing down rapid development are easily solved. I hope PSoC6 will carry on the tradition. I'm jealous that you already have a kit in your hands... roll on August. The ideas are waiting..