PSoC Creator 4.1 Update

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Here's an update on what to expect with PSoC Creator 4.1, planned to be released in the coming weeks!​

Web-Based Content Delivery

With this release, you can now obtain updates to devices (including modules), Components, and code examples from the Cypress web page. This will reduce the overall size of PSoC Creator in the future, providing faster installs and updates. The other key benefit of web-based content delivery is that devices, Components, and code examples can be distributed as soon as they are ready, instead of waiting for the next PSoC Creator update.

Pre- and Post-Build User Commands

The Build Settings dialog was also updated to provide a User Commands page. This feature allows you to run custom, user-specified, pre-build commands before the compile steps, as well as run custom user-specified, post-build commands after PSoC Creator’s post-build step.

Component Customizer Dialog Updates

Cypress has made several small enhancements to the default Configure dialog to improve the user experience with Components. With FM0+ devices moving from instance-based to driver based Components, it is beneficial to present the actual struct members as they are in firmware. These enhancements enable new features in the default GUI that mean more Components can take advantage of the default interface.

New Start Page

This is an update to the existing Start Page to enable better, more focused content delivery to users. The static content in the Start Page (left panel) is being refreshed and the live content area (right panel) is being used to show web-based information for “Getting Acquainted” and “New in 4.1”.

PSoC Creator 4.1 and PSoC 6

PSoC Creator 4.1 will be a minimum prerequisite and is recommended for all to install in preparation for a PSoC 6 software toolset release that is coming soon.

Feel free to leave comments or questions, we appreciate the feedback!

19 Replies
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Impressive work, didn't even know about PSoC4xxxD devices, but Creator 4.1 is delaying a lot (supposedly coming out this week), hope it's released soon.

Thanks for the update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kindly anyone can share the PSoC-6 Datasheet.

0 Likes

As far as i know it's not available yet.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The datasheet is still being refined and improved, we plan to release it in this community in the coming weeks. Thanks for your patience! Please check back here for the datasheet update!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Started working on the Creator 4.0 since past few months &  was hoping for web-based content delivery! will make the Creator 4 even more dope! Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is probably on your radar already, but for PSoC 4 and 3/5, there's a spreadsheet to do power estimation (AN77900). It would be great if that could get folded into PSoC Creator for PSoC 6

Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored

Can't wait to get going with PSoC Creator 4.1.

Is the dark color theme yet fixed in this release? (case# 00167907 / 489394-2968708861)

Thanks

Rolf

0 Likes
cadi_1014291
Level 6
Level 6
25 likes received 10 likes received 10 likes given

Hi,

As the time passes more question arises .

The component upgrades will be available for all PSoC devices? there's a typo on the Bootloader component reported like 1 year ago and it haven't been fixed .

PSoC Creator 4.1 have any improvements on the code editor?, one missing feature is bookmarks, you can only place them but not navigate in the code based on their location.

A dark skin theme might be great as well

Carlos

0 Likes

You can check it out yourself, since PSoC Creator 4.1 is available for download (at least from the Cypress Update Manager)

0 Likes

Hi, yeah, i posted this question one day before Creator 4.1 got released. Hope the support for PSoC6 comes soon.

Editor still the same btw lol.

0 Likes
WaMa_286156
Level 5
Level 5
First comment on blog 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Cypress is changing support systems and all support requests are automatically closed, but the new "support" system points back to the old support system which closes all support requests .........

Cypress Creator 4.1 dropped support for Digital Output Pin version 2.5.  It was available in 3.0 and 4.0, but dropped in 4.1.

There is no easy way to keep the schematic connection and change the version number.  You have to open it in a previous PSOCCreator and then downgrade the version there.  Don't save the 4.1 project when this happens because it will prevent its opening in an older version of PSOC Creator........

0 Likes

Hello @user_463759797,

The latest and greatest Digital Output Pin version available in PSoC Creator 4.1 is version 2.2. Are you using a custom version of the component? Could you help us understand the issue that you are facing in some more detail?

As for the point you made on support systems, are you referring to the Cypress technical support interface? Are you looking for any help on using PSoC Creator?

Cheers,

Srinivas

0 Likes

I am not using a custom version.  As you can see from this image from 3.0 cypress, 2.5 was the largest version of pin number available.

Now, PSOC Creator 4.1 has downgraded to pin version 2.2.

No big deal, I handled it. It is just confusing.

pins.png

0 Likes

I am pretty sure that you are actually targeting a PSoC 4 device. In PSoC 6 there is a new component, called PDL_GPIO, because the pins are a little different. On PSoC 4 the component is called cy_pins. We have not obsoleted the components in your picture - but I can see how you get to that conclusion. How to check this?

In the Workspace Explorer the target device is shown in square brackets after the project name. If it starts with "CY8C4" then you have a PSoC 4 device. Unfortunately, you cannot change a PSoC 4 project to PSoC 6 because the architectures of the devices are very different. Another tip is to hover the mouse over the component in the schematic. It pops up a panel that starts with something like "Component name: cy_pins_v2_20" so you can tell what kind of component it is.

I think the lesson here, for us, is that the new Project dialog and the Device Selector are getting hard to use. We have so many devices in there that it is really easy to pick the wrong one. We are going to have to take a look into that for future releases.

0 Likes
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored

Hello,

PSoC Creator 4.1 (4.1.0.2686) still has a build problem. This video shows the problem (view in 1080p):

PSoC Creator 4.1 build problem - YouTube

Changes in code are not updated in the output.

The solution is to clean & build the project after every change.

Hope this gets fixed soon, it's very time consuming to rebuild the complete project after every small change.

Regards,

Rolf

*added after 15 minutes:

it seems the linker is not invoked at the build sequence after changes are made in the .c file

(manually clicking "compile file" before debugging solves the problem too)

0 Likes

The build system works by checking if a given step is required and executing if needed. In your video it is compiling the C file but not linking all the objects into a new OMF file. I do not have enough information to know exactly why that is the case but the first thing to check is the time stamp of the file design01.omf. if that is newer (i.e. in the future) than the main.obj file then there is no reason to link. The most common cause of this issue is when you get files/projects from another user. Please also try deleting the Design01.omf file and let us know if things get better!

0 Likes

Hi Mark!

It's a fresh created project, created with PSoC Creator 4.1. I've facing this issue on several pc's and it started with the release of PSoC Creator 4.0. The difference is that with 4.0 building twice gives a valid output. With 4.1 only clicking 'compile file' and next 'build' will do the trick.

Take a look at the screenshot below, I changed the main.c file, clicked 'build' and made the screenshot.

Deleting the OMF file also doesn't change the behavior. This file isn't also regenerated after the main.c file has changed, only at clean & build.

Maybe it has to do with the Dutch time notation setting in Windows. I'll test this.

Thanks!

*added after 20 minutes: changing to US notation doesn't solve the problem.

Schermafbeelding 2017-07-24 om 20.26.18.png

0 Likes

I cannot reproduce the behavior. Would it be possible to see the project? I do not know if you can share what you are working on but it sounds like this happens with really simple projects. The simpler the better! ! ! Please post here and email me at yfs@cypress.com so, if nothing arrives, I will know there is a problem.

0 Likes

Problem solved. Thanks for the great support you guys at Cypress!

For those who like to know: when your project files are on an exFAT filesystem or for some reason there's a small delay in syncing the project file timestamps, building may not work well. Try to move your project to another disk with NTFS filesystem.

Will be fixed with version 4.2.

Thanks!

0 Likes