Can't Set Bluetooth MAC Address

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having trouble changing the Bluetooth MAC Address on my 4343W module (Avnet's BCM94343W_AVN). I called wiced_bt_set_local_bdaddr ( bda ); to set the address (which is defined as wiced_bt_device_address_t bda = {0x11, 0x22, 0x33, 0x44, 0x55, 0x66};). When I read it back immediately using wiced_bt_dev_read_local_addr( bda2 );, it shows the correct address (11:22:33:44:55:66). However, when I look for the device on an Android app, it shows a different, seemingly randomly generated, MAC address. In fact, every time I power cycle the device, a new MAC address appears to be associated with the module. What should I do to set the MAC address?

mifo

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've found the answer. It turns out that from the demo apps, the BLE by default has the Random Public Address privacy feature enabled. That could be disabled in the "wiced_bt_cfg_settings_t" construct by changing the "rpa_refresh_timeout" value to 0. After I've done that, I can set the BLE MAC address to whatever I want with no problem.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've found the answer. It turns out that from the demo apps, the BLE by default has the Random Public Address privacy feature enabled. That could be disabled in the "wiced_bt_cfg_settings_t" construct by changing the "rpa_refresh_timeout" value to 0. After I've done that, I can set the BLE MAC address to whatever I want with no problem.