the lowest current still 10mA running ping_powersave on BCM94343WWCD1 platform

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am testing the ping_powersave example on BCM9WCD9EVAL1with BCM94343WWCD1 module.

The lowest current measured with both wifi and MCU power save mode enabled is still roughly 10mA .

is it correct?

In our application, the device is powered by a battery, 10mA is too high for low-power mode. Can you

advise how to achieve expected low power, such as 20uA ?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

10 mA average current is expected with the default ping_powersave snip having 1 second ping interval. The exact current consumption for a ping transaction is shown in Figure 4 of the powersave app note along with explanation. To reduce the average current consumption, you need to increase the ping interval. In addition, you need to increase the listen interval because the station will wake every listen interval to listen to buffered frames from AP. However, the listen interval cannot be too large because the AP will have limited memory to store the buffered frames. I would recommend you to go through the entire powersave app note and go through section 5.2.1 Custom Low-Power Application for more details on low power.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are you measuring the power from?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I measured from J2 on  BCM9WCD9EVAL1 which only supplies power ,3.3V to the Cypress module,BCM94343WWCD.

also I have enabled the Low power option for both MCU  and BT/WiFi chipset while I did the measurement.

0 Likes
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

10 mA average current is expected with the default ping_powersave snip having 1 second ping interval. The exact current consumption for a ping transaction is shown in Figure 4 of the powersave app note along with explanation. To reduce the average current consumption, you need to increase the ping interval. In addition, you need to increase the listen interval because the station will wake every listen interval to listen to buffered frames from AP. However, the listen interval cannot be too large because the AP will have limited memory to store the buffered frames. I would recommend you to go through the entire powersave app note and go through section 5.2.1 Custom Low-Power Application for more details on low power.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

10mA is the lowest real-time current which is measure by a oscilloscope. I have followed the app note, but the sleep current isn't lowered which should be xxuA.

0 Likes