Wiced API best practices / usage?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is there a document outlining the development philosophy behind the Wiced API?

For example if I want to create a new thread, can I do it from anywhere? or do I have to do it from application_start?

Can I call the threadX API directly? or do I have to use the wrapper proviced by Wiced?

Thanks

1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create a new thread anywhere and you are able to call the ThreadX API directly however you must take responsibility for ensure that your ThreadX objects are not used by the WICED API incorrectly.

We provide full source for the abstraction layers so you can see what is going on inside and how we use the native ThreadX objects.

Unfortunately we don't have a document outlining the development philosophy of the WICED API but we try to create and follow patterns to make it predictable. application_start() is the equivalent of main() however it runs within the context of an RTOS thread having had the RTOS pre-initialized. It is no different to any other thread in the system.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create a new thread anywhere and you are able to call the ThreadX API directly however you must take responsibility for ensure that your ThreadX objects are not used by the WICED API incorrectly.

We provide full source for the abstraction layers so you can see what is going on inside and how we use the native ThreadX objects.

Unfortunately we don't have a document outlining the development philosophy of the WICED API but we try to create and follow patterns to make it predictable. application_start() is the equivalent of main() however it runs within the context of an RTOS thread having had the RTOS pre-initialized. It is no different to any other thread in the system.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi nikvh,

Where can we find the source code for those abstraction layers?  We're using the BCM20732S and having trouble finding documentation for these functions and how to use them.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This thread is about WICED Wi-Fi.

The API is different from WICED SMART like BCM20732S.

For WICED Smart, sample applications located in Apps/ help your understanding I think.

Regards,