OTA (Not OTA2) download of updated radio bin firmware

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joMa_1809706
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes received First like received First like given

If the radio firmware is updated, maybe from a SDK update, how does OTA process handle getting the new bin file updated in the radio? e.g. 4343WA1.bin in the resources/firmware directory.

Note: I'm not asking about the stripped elf file containing the application code. OTA handles that.

0 Likes
2 Replies
cogoc_1937206
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Originally (at least for the wifi platform we are using), radio firmware was being linked directly into the application image.  I.e. it was/is contained within the stripped elf file.

I believe support was added for storing the radio firmware in a different location at some point though (e.g. in an external SPI flash), which may be what you're using.  If so, my guess is that the canned OTA process provided by the framework does not support a mechanism to upgrade the radio firmware in that alternate location; you'd have to build it yourself.

0 Likes
AxLi_1746341
Level 7
Level 7
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Just to remind you that if update radio bin firmware fails, the device is dead because the wifi no longer work so you cannot access the device.

0 Likes