Add external RAM to HEAP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_2177781
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 10 likes received 5 likes given

Hello,

We have been developing a custom platform, which has 1MB of external SRAM attached to a STM32F427 MCU.

I'm currently on a state  FMC bus seems to be working and I can manually assign values into the SRAM and read it out later on.

This has been ok for the testing purpose, but now I'm trying to get the SRAM to be apart of the HEAP, so that it can be easily used in our application.

Is there anybody which has been working on this?

Regards

- Renejos

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Renejos,

do you have implemented successful the SRAM as part of the heap in the WICED system? Would be usefull to hear, if it worked or if it possible?

Regards,

Lennart

0 Likes

Hello,

Yes, I managed to get the SRAM running by looking into an old AUDIO platform available in previous versions of the SDK. I implemented it so that the STACK was located on the internal memory and the HEAP was placed on the external SRAM.

I have not had the implementation verified, but the RAM test i'm using, return success and our application works without any issues, so it seems stable.

Regards

- Rene Josefsen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

thanks for your fast response. Is in the old SDK a sort of SRAM implemented? Can you provide me the exact SDK/files ?

Regards,

Lennart

0 Likes

In WICED 3.1.2, there is a platform called BCM9WCD1AUDIO, this has external PSRAM. I used this as a reference when implementing the SRAM on our custom platform.

The platform_ext_memory.c should be modified to match your hardware and my_app_with_bootloader.ld (can be renamed and changed in the platform makefile, if you want) configures the STACK and HEAP

Regards

- Rene Josefsen