How long does it generally take to de-frag volatile section?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WaSu_1697556
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

Hi,

Based on WICED Smart SDK 2.2.2, how long does it generally take to de-frag volatile section (0x1000 bytes) of sflash?

I repeated write<->delete to force de-frag.  I confirmed that when de-frag happens, remaining valid data compacted to contiguous pages toward the start address of volatile section.

It seems that de-frag happens instantly but I appreciate if someone give me rough idea of how long it generally takes.

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

According to the developers, this depends on the sector erase time and the number of items that need to be consolidated. In general, it should be (2 * number of sectors allocated for VS * time to erase a sector) + (number of valid items * time to commit).  Time to commit and time to sector are from the DS of the serial flash.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

According to the developers, this depends on the sector erase time and the number of items that need to be consolidated. In general, it should be (2 * number of sectors allocated for VS * time to erase a sector) + (number of valid items * time to commit).  Time to commit and time to sector are from the DS of the serial flash.

0 Likes

Thank you for the response.

Sector mentioned here, is this the same sector as mentioned in ws_upgrade.c?

0 Likes

Its the serial flash sector.