WPS doesn't work on SDK 3.7

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiGu_2168911
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

Hi,

I'm using 4343W evaluation board with SDK3.7 and compiling "snip.wps_enrollee-BCM94343WWCD1-FreeRTOS-LwIP-SDIO download run". The WPS connection with the AP doesn't work and SW is frozen without any timeout. (2 min WPS timeout never happens).

Console log:

Starting WICED v3.7.0

Platform BCM94343WWCD1 initialised

Started FreeRTOS v8.2.1

Initialising LwIP v1.4.0.rc1

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : 02:0A:F7:47:66:C4

WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Jun 19 2016 22:40:09 version 7.45.45.17 (r644353) FWID 01-dbaba83

Starting WPS Enrollee in PBC mode. Press the WPS button on your AP now.

Starting WPS Enrollee

On SDK 3.5.2, everything is working fine with the same compile command and FW revision.

Starting WICED v3.5.2

Platform BCM94343WWCD1 initialised

Started FreeRTOS v8.2.1

Initialising LwIP v1.4.0.rc1

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : 02:0A:F7:BF:CF:8E

WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Jun 19 2016 22:40:09 version 7.45.45.17 (r644353) FWID 01-dbaba83

Starting WPS Enrollee in PBC mode. Press the WPS button on your AP now.

Starting WPS Enrollee

Joining 'eSoftAP'

Storing credentials for eSoftAP

WPS completed successfully

WPS enrollment was successful

Joining : eSoftAP

Successfully joined : eSoftAP

Obtaining IP address via DHCP

Network ready IP: 192.168.2.11

Associated on channel: 1

0 Likes
12 Replies
JaeyoungY_71
Employee
Employee
First comment on KBA 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hello Nicolas,

There is a known issue with the BESL library in SDK 3.7.0 that is used in the WPS code. It will cause a memory leak causing it to crash the board. Our developers are currently looking into the issue but for now you can replace the library files in WICED/security/BESL of 3.7.0 from previous versions (3.5.2 or 3.6.1) and it should work. For the WPS snip example, I am seeing the WPS timeout after 2 minutes after replacing these library files. We will keep you posted on any fixes and updates.

Thanks,
Jaeyoung

jaeyoung wrote:

Hello Nicolas,

There is a known issue with the BESL library in SDK 3.7.0 that is used in the WPS code. It will cause a memory leak causing it to crash the board.

jaeyoung

You should check if the system is running out of memory when testing WPS on 3.7.0.

This is to make sure if the root cause is really memory leak issue.

(And it only takes a few minutes to add the code showing available memory)

Memory leak won't cause function failure unless it reaches OOM.

If the system still have enough free memory when WPS failure on 3.7.0,

it's another regression.

Also make sure you test with lwIP build, as the user reported issue on lwIP build.

0 Likes

Hello Jaeyoung,

I have replaced the BESL.ARM_CM4.release.a from SDK 3.5.2 to SDK3.7.0 and I have a small progress as I can see the timeout happening when no AP detected. But this timeout always happen, even if I press the WPS AP button.

I have also replaced the overall BESL directory but the project doesn't compile anymore due to some type which are not defined in BESL SDK3.5.2.

Best Regards,

Nicolas.

0 Likes

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for reporting back your results. We have escalated this issue to the core development team and will update you when we have a fix.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

0 Likes

Dear jaeyoung

Do you have news regarding a fix for this issue?

Best Regards,

Nicolas.

0 Likes

Hello Nicolas,

It seems indeed that the problem goes deeper than the BESL library. We have a core developer assigned to this and are working towards a solution. We will update you when we have more information.

Best,Jaeyoung

jaeyoung

Can you confirm if sdk-3.7.0-3 fixes this issue or not?

This is not mentioned in the release note of sdk-3.7.0-3.

0 Likes

Hi Axel,

No, unfortunately SDK 3.7.0-3 would not fix this issue. Our core developers are working towards a fix on this.

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

jaeyoung wrote:

No, unfortunately SDK 3.7.0-3 would not fix this issue. Our core developers are working towards a fix on this.

I would expect this to be fixed quickly.

It's a regression, so you should be able to find the bad commit then fix it (or revert it).

0 Likes

We have fixed this issue and it will be included into our next release, WICED Studio 4.0, scheduled for October. Keep an eye out for it!

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

You may download the new SDK, WICED Studio 4.0, from the following link.

WICED Studio 4.0 has been released....

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

0 Likes

My Projects using FreeRTOS+LwIP so I cannot use WICED Studio 4.0.

0 Likes