Legal Questions & UUID's

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

we are a small company and we are actually developing a product with a BCM20737S. The BCM20737S is our favourite solution, but before going into production we need a few answers.

1. Is it ok to flash the BCM20737S at our site? Or do we need a special agreement with Broadcom? As we have a complex assembly (involving flashing of several other components), it is our preferred solution to do it at our site.

2. Is it fine to used the secure over the air upgrade (OTA) and the source provided in the examples and ship the final binary to the custome? (ws_upgrade.c, ws_upgrade.h, ws_sec_upgrade.c, ws_sec_upgrade.h). Do we need a confirmation from Broadcom? Alternatively we could rewrite an own version, but it would consume some time.

3.Regarding the UUID's of the over the air upgrade (OTA), should we change them to something different than in the example?

Thank you for any answer

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShawnA_01
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

1. Yes.   Programming of the modules must be performed from within either the SDK itself (via the make target), or by executing the command line tools (i.e. CHIPLOAD.EXE) that run (under the hood) during the compile/programming process. If you don't know what this means, read the Quick Start Guide found in the SDK under the Project Explorer Tab, then drill into ~Doc/WICED-Smart-QSG202.pdf.

I also recommend you add the VERBOSE=1 directive to your make-target to see the MS-DOS commands in action.     This thread also describes the CGS.EXE and CHIPLOAD.EXE tools in more detail:  Is there any documentation describing the cgs.exe and chipload.exe?

Some customers use a bed of nails connection to access the 20736S HCI UART during the programming, whereas others have put a small connector on the board for the electrical connection.

Have you read section 6 and 7 from the link:  Programming the TAG2/TAG3 Board using command line tools

I think AVNET (via BP Micro) may also offer pre-programming services for the modules if you want somebody else to do the programming for you.

Since you'e already clicked Broadcom's WICED-SMART Development Kit License Agreement when you created your Broadcom Community Forum user account, you have free access to the SDK content including the EEPROM programming tools.  You are not authorized to grant third-parties access to these tools however, as they'd need to sign the click-through licensing agreement like you did.  Please re-read the SDK License agreement found in the SDK under the ~WICED-Smart-SDK/Doc/Broadcom-WICED-Smart-SDK-License-1.1.pdf

2.  Yes.  You may use Broadcom's Secure OTA sample application as your baseline for your product found in ~WICED-Smart-SDK/Apps/ota_secure_firmware_upgrade/peerapps.  You'll probably want to make it prettier, and include your legal mumbo-jumbo on the spash screen....  🙂

3.  I think you want to create your own.  Refer to Re: WICED Smart BCM92073X Generate Your Own UUID

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ShawnA_01
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

1. Yes.   Programming of the modules must be performed from within either the SDK itself (via the make target), or by executing the command line tools (i.e. CHIPLOAD.EXE) that run (under the hood) during the compile/programming process. If you don't know what this means, read the Quick Start Guide found in the SDK under the Project Explorer Tab, then drill into ~Doc/WICED-Smart-QSG202.pdf.

I also recommend you add the VERBOSE=1 directive to your make-target to see the MS-DOS commands in action.     This thread also describes the CGS.EXE and CHIPLOAD.EXE tools in more detail:  Is there any documentation describing the cgs.exe and chipload.exe?

Some customers use a bed of nails connection to access the 20736S HCI UART during the programming, whereas others have put a small connector on the board for the electrical connection.

Have you read section 6 and 7 from the link:  Programming the TAG2/TAG3 Board using command line tools

I think AVNET (via BP Micro) may also offer pre-programming services for the modules if you want somebody else to do the programming for you.

Since you'e already clicked Broadcom's WICED-SMART Development Kit License Agreement when you created your Broadcom Community Forum user account, you have free access to the SDK content including the EEPROM programming tools.  You are not authorized to grant third-parties access to these tools however, as they'd need to sign the click-through licensing agreement like you did.  Please re-read the SDK License agreement found in the SDK under the ~WICED-Smart-SDK/Doc/Broadcom-WICED-Smart-SDK-License-1.1.pdf

2.  Yes.  You may use Broadcom's Secure OTA sample application as your baseline for your product found in ~WICED-Smart-SDK/Apps/ota_secure_firmware_upgrade/peerapps.  You'll probably want to make it prettier, and include your legal mumbo-jumbo on the spash screen....  🙂

3.  I think you want to create your own.  Refer to Re: WICED Smart BCM92073X Generate Your Own UUID

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

I've a question regarding topic 2:

I redesigned the UI of the Android smart OTA application, should I include the Broadcom license agreement anyway?

Can I use custom logo instead of the Broadcom logo?

0 Likes

siano

I don't believe that you need to include the license agreement, nor do you need to worry about changing the logo for the android UI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK,

Thank You

0 Likes