Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have been looking into the different iot devices on the market and came across wiced and particle.io. From what i can understand particle.io uses its own cloud to manage the devices and all communication with the device goes through their servers. Wiced on the other hand does not enforce any particular cloud server, so you are free to create your own (aws seems like a popular choice). Apart from the ease-of-use factor, are there any significant differences in terms of pricing or module-size? We will be working on a very small internet-button type of device so there wont be any sensors etc.

The particle photon wifi module is being sold for $10 (bulk price per 10 units), what is the price for broadcom/cypress's wifi module?

How big is broadcom/cypress's wifi module (i.e. dimensions)?

In order to build an internet button do you need anything other than a wifi module and power source (in terms of hardware)?

What is your opinion about wiced and particle, which one is better/why?

Regards.

0 Likes
1 Reply
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I think it comes down to a discussion regarding barrier to entry and time to market. Cypress (formerly Broadcom IoT) builds silicon, dev kits and offers an SDK for Wi-Fi and Combo BT/Wi-Fi.  Our Module Partners then offer certified production modules (Cypress does not make modules) with varying degrees of integration, size, regulatory certification and features. Within the partners themselves, they may also offer their own SDK and dev kits with a much lower barrier to entry as compared to our solution (WICED requires 5-7 years of embedded development experience, partner solutions may require far less).

The 2016 IoT Solutions Guide​ is a good place to start.

Alot of customers like the Particle module and Red Board because it truly addresses the maker market and offers a very low barrier to entry.