Bluetooth LE information needed for Wiced SDK (not Wiced Smart SDK)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

My team is in the process of developing a product that supports both WiFi and Bluetooth LE functionality.  We are using the Avnet BCM4343W IoT Starter Kit as our development board.  Looking through your forums, reference code and such I am not finding much information that describes the Bluetooth LE API contained within the Wiced SDK (not the Wiced Smart SDK). 

Specifically we need information on the configuration of the API to implement a GATT Peripheral device.  The device would take a "server" role, providing information to a client device that connects to the peripheral.

With the help of the Avnet forum, they helped me find the following sample projects:

• snip/ble_hello_sensor
  • snip/ble_proximity_reporter

With regard to the GATT implementation, is there an API definition for how Wiced SDK supports this?  It would be helpful to know more on defining the GATT characteristic database, and how Notify/Indication operations are initiated by the server device.  How does the BLE stack interact with the power management aspects of the WICED stack?

Broadcom offers the Wiced Smart SDK, but the Avnet development board is not compatible with this platform, so we can not take advantage of the Bluetooth "Wizard" that  you provide there.

Beyond the GATT implementation, I have a question for you regarding a BLE standard.  In our design we have a need for the features of BLE but also we need to make a large one time transfer of data over bluetooth.  The Bluetooth standard has a service called "Object Transfer Service" that allows for the transfer of Bulk data over a side L2CAP connection, using GATT to manage the actual transfer.

Does the Broadcom WICED platform conform with this standard?  If so, can you please forward to me the definition of the API to support this standard.  Reference code would also be appreciated.

Regards,

Rob Lieb

Principal Software Engineer

Intelligent Product Solutions

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please checkout this sample app:

BIG RESTful Smart Server Demo

0 Likes
JaeyoungY_71
Employee
Employee
First comment on KBA 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hello Rob,

Unfortunately, we do not have documentation on the GATT database. Please refer to the code in wiced_bt_gatt_db.c in snip/bluetooth/ble_proximity_reporter/ for building up a GATT database.

The native ble_proximity_reporter app does not use notifications however. The following blog will show you how to add the notification feature to the ble_proximity_reporter app.

Using Notifications in BLE Peripheral Mode

Also, if you would like to use user-defined strings please refer to the following post.

User Defined String for CHAR_DESCRIPTOR_UUID16

I am not sure about the Object Transfer service. Perhaps boont​ would have some information on this.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Jaeyoung

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

I don't think we support ots yet. But you may wish to refer to "Long Characteristic Big MTU" app in the our wicked smart space.

0 Likes