OTA2 For BCM9WCDUSI09

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

We're using BCM9WCDUSI09 platform(1Mb external flash, 1Mb internal flash, 128k ram) and will be using OTA2 for updating the platform when needed. (The platform will check server if there's update or not, if yes then it'll update itself)

I have several questions in mind :

1. Is it possible to use the new OTA system for our platform? If yes, then how can we obtain the file “ota2_image_defines.mk”? Or do we have to write it ourselves, what are the contents?

2. Also I have read that there’ll be an example ota2 app release for platforms such as ours, when do you think that would be available?

3. I have also read that there is a problem with the ota with platforms such as ours(ota app is in the external flash and cannot be executed from ram because of size) because there is a bug in bootloader application.

4. Are there any detailed documents do you have other than the OTA2 Doc that comes with SDK 3.5.2. If there is, that would be very helpful. We're really confused, and couldn't really understand what OTA really does step by step(in the push and in the pull).

5. What is the difference between OTA and OTA2? Are all SDK 3.x.x use OTA2(is the ota_fr app also OTA2)?

Sorry for the question count, you may think some of them are dummy, but we're confused about these issues.

Thank you all.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not currently supported. This will have to be developed off a future SDK release

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

> 5. What is the difference between OTA and OTA2? Are all SDK 3.x.x use OTA2(is the ota_fr app also OTA2)?

From the 3.5.2 README release notes:

- WICED Application Framework including Bootloader, OTA Upgrade and Factory Reset

- Second flavor of OTA and Factory Reset (called OTA2)

So I will assume that OTA is the OTA released in 3.1.x and implemented in "ota_fr" and that OTA2 is something new and different and will initially be supported only on some STM32 MCU platforms.

OTA is documented here: WICED Application Framework Overview

OTA2 is documented in the 3.5.2 doc section.

There is another thread that I found helpful: Re: Does OTA apply to MCU internal flash ?

I would like to know if 3.5.2 supports using the 3.1.x version of OTA "ota_fr" with the STM32F411 with 128KB RAM and an external SPI flash and also if ota_fr is supported on BCM943362WCD4. My app is small and I can probably fit ota_fr within my app.

I believe nsankar​ just answered a similar question here in this thread: Re: Does OTA apply to MCU internal flash ?

I would like to know if 3.5.2 supports using the 3.1.x version of OTA "ota_fr" with the STM32F411 with 128KB RAM and an external SPI flash and also if ota_fr is supported on BCM943362WCD4. My app is small and I can probably fit ota_fr within my app.

Yes, 3.5.2 supports using the 3.1.x version of OTA.

However, there are some incompatible issue in 3.5.2:

Firmware Upgrade - DCT Question