Programming CCG3PA from CY4532 EVK

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GEPI_4792916
Employee
Employee

Hi

I have a board with CCG3PA (CYPD3175-24LQXQ). Now i have to program it to use it as a port controller.

I was thinking to use the CY4532 to program it. I followed the user manual but still I can't do it. When i open EZ-PD Configuration Utility i can't see any port.

1.PNG

Any one can help me how to do it, or any sugestion?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please carry out the following steps in the given order,

• Update the EZ-PD Configuration utility software.
  • Follow the correct Jumper settings (refer CY4532 EVK guide)
  • The silicon to be programmed should be connected accordingly as mentioned in the previous reply.

image1.png

• The steps should be followed in a proper sequence mentioned in the CY4532 EVK guide. I have attached the steps for your reference,
      • Remove the power supply connected on the DC Jack (J3) of the CY4532 Power Board.
      • Detach the CY4532 Main Board pre-mounted on top of the CY4532 Power Board.
      • Connect a USB Type-C EMCA cable between the USB Type-C port (J13) of the CY4532 Power Board and the USB Type-C port on the external hardware.
      • Connect the USB Micro-B cable between the USB Micro-B port (J12) of CY4532 Power Board and a USB Type-A port of the PC/laptop.            

(Note: For the Rev ** of the CY4532 EVK, use USB Type-A to Mini-B cable)

• Connect the 12 V DC power adapter provided with the kit to the CY4532 Power Board’s DC Jack (J3).
      • Set the Switch (SW1) on the Power Board to the ‘DC INPUT’ position.
      • Invoke the EZ-PD Configuration Utility on the PC/laptop and follow the programming procedure described in the User Manual of the utility.
      • You can also click Help > User Manual in the EZ-PD Configuration Utility to access this user manual.
  • Even after following the above-mentioned steps if there are no devices detected by the config utility, try updating the firmware of CCG4 to MTK and repeat the above steps. The path for the MTK cyacd file is as shown,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD Configuration Utility\Firmware\MTK.

Regards

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
MallikaK_22
50 likes received 750 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

EZ-PD Configuration Utility can only detect the CCG3PA device via CC (Type-C port).

Please ensure the hardware connection at your end is as follows:

abc.PNG

Best Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please carry out the following steps in the given order,

• Update the EZ-PD Configuration utility software.
  • Follow the correct Jumper settings (refer CY4532 EVK guide)
  • The silicon to be programmed should be connected accordingly as mentioned in the previous reply.

image1.png

• The steps should be followed in a proper sequence mentioned in the CY4532 EVK guide. I have attached the steps for your reference,
      • Remove the power supply connected on the DC Jack (J3) of the CY4532 Power Board.
      • Detach the CY4532 Main Board pre-mounted on top of the CY4532 Power Board.
      • Connect a USB Type-C EMCA cable between the USB Type-C port (J13) of the CY4532 Power Board and the USB Type-C port on the external hardware.
      • Connect the USB Micro-B cable between the USB Micro-B port (J12) of CY4532 Power Board and a USB Type-A port of the PC/laptop.            

(Note: For the Rev ** of the CY4532 EVK, use USB Type-A to Mini-B cable)

• Connect the 12 V DC power adapter provided with the kit to the CY4532 Power Board’s DC Jack (J3).
      • Set the Switch (SW1) on the Power Board to the ‘DC INPUT’ position.
      • Invoke the EZ-PD Configuration Utility on the PC/laptop and follow the programming procedure described in the User Manual of the utility.
      • You can also click Help > User Manual in the EZ-PD Configuration Utility to access this user manual.
  • Even after following the above-mentioned steps if there are no devices detected by the config utility, try updating the firmware of CCG4 to MTK and repeat the above steps. The path for the MTK cyacd file is as shown,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD Configuration Utility\Firmware\MTK.

Regards

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hi Abhilash P

Thank you for your answer. I followed all the steps you write to me and now it recognize the port.

Now I'm having another issue. I want to program it, I open EZ-PD Configuration Utility--->Firmware Update-->CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb_config.cyacd (from Power SDK)--> Program

It gives me this error:

2.PNG

1.PNG

I tried: CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_config.cyacd   and CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_3_1_2_1511_0_0_0_pa.cyacd (from CCG3PA EVK)

Still same error.

Can you give me any suggestion or possible solution ?

Thank you

Genti

0 Likes

Hi,

Please carry out the following steps in the given order to resolve the issue, (this is for CYPD3171-24LQXQ)

1. Initially on the main board please verify if the jumpers are set correctly ( J2, j3 and j4 - short 1 and 2 ).
  2. Please open jumpers 6,7 and 9 on power board.
  3. Program the CYPD3171 silicon with the Power bank firmware ( file path: EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb_3_4_0_2274_0_0_0_pb.cyacd ).
  4. Now change the jumper settings on the main board corresponding to power bank firmware (j2, j3 and j4 - short 2 and 3).
  5. Restart the EZ-PD Configuration utility software.
  6. Finally reprogram the CYPD3171 silicon with cla firmware ( file path: EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_3_4_0_2274_0_0_0_pa.cyacd ).
  7. You might encounter the following error message after reprogramming the board. This error message can be ignored since the jumper settings have not yet been changed to support the new firmware. You can change the jumper settings to Power adapter firmware (j2, j3 and j4 - short 1 and 2) and everything works fine. Please refer the EZ-PD CCG3PA EVK guide for any further assistance while programming.

Capture.PNG

Please revert back if you face any difficulties while carrying out the above steps.

Regards

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hi

I followed all the steps and it looks it will work, but when the upload gets to 99% I get this error:2.PNG

PD contract established.

Restarting the target device

Re-negotiating PD contract after switching target reset

PD contract established.

Device is in boot mode: Starting FLASH update operation

Programming data from file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb_3_5_0_2649_0_0_0_pa.cyacd

Firmware/Configuration write to flash completed

Firmware image (FW:1) is valid

Restarting the target device

Re-negotiating PD contract after switching target reset

Error: PD contract not established after RESET

Error: Flash update procedure failed

Error: DLL call returned error while flashing

I read all the User Manuals of CCG3PA. For the jumpers it says that it doesn't mater when you are are programing with Power Board( I detach the Main Board).

Many Thanks

Genti

0 Likes

Hi,

>>Could you please share the schematics of your board.

>> Please check that the configuration table you are using has has "Enable Firmware Update" in Device Parameters set to "Yes".

Capture.PNG

>> Please test if the hardware is working as expected in spite of the error message in the Configuration Utility.

Best Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes

Hi

Thank you for you response.

After following all the steps to program CCG3PA (CYPD3175-24LQXQ), after uploading to 99%, as you can see in the picture, it stops working. After the reset the boot loader on the device in our board doesn’t work.

The steps to program, We selected the firmware under the following path:

• "Tools --> Firmware updateàPort UFP Peripheral" and select the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx PowerSDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb_3_5_0_2649_0_0_0_pa.cyacd".

In my board I have CCG3PA (CYPD3175-24LQXQ).

1. 1- I want to ask if is this the right firmware to be used?

I would like to have the same behavior of the CY4532 EVK that is mounting the CYPD3171-24LQXQ.

The Power Board EVK have the firmware CYPD4126-40LQXI.

InkedInked1_LI.jpg

Capture3.PNG

It looks we have flashed the wrong firmware in to the device on our board, and after the reset it is not able any more to establish a PD contract with the Power Board of the EVK. We tried this with two boards and the outcome is the same.

Now I can see only 1 port instead of 3.

Do you have any advice on witch firmware should use, or how can i fix it?

Best Regards

Gentjan

0 Likes

Hi Gentjan,

The firmware which you are using is the correct firmware.

Please provide the information which I had asked for in the previous thread.

>>Could you please share the schematics of your board.

>> Please check that the configuration table you are using has has "Enable Firmware Update" in Device Parameters set to "Yes".

>> Please test if the hardware is working as expected in spite of the error message in the Configuration Utility.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes

Hi Mallika

Thank you for your response.

1- This is the schematic

Capture4.PNG

InkedInked1_LI.jpg

2- I did that before starting on the EVK. When I start to program the firmware from the Power Board EVK to the CCG3P3 (in the picture up) it says 3 Device connected. When the upload arrive to 99% it stops, as you can se in the picture above. After this i have only one Device connected, and my board don't work any more. Board starting i tested the board and it works well, there is a contract on the CC1,or CC2, 5V on the Vbus. After uploading 99%, i tested the contract on the USB-C, the CCG3PA don't works.

Capture3.PNG

If i don't fix this problem i can't use the board. I tried in tow board, and the same happen.

Now I don't have any boards to use.

3- After this it doesn't work nothing.

Any idea how can i fix it? Or what should i do

Regards

Genti

0 Likes

Hi Genti,

>>Did you update the firmware of CCG4 to MTK ?

The MTK firmware is available in the “Firmware\MTK” folder in the EZ-PD Configuration Utility installation.

>>You could try programming CCG3PA over the SWD interface.

It is generally recommended that the CCG3PA devices are programmed over SWD interface during development/manufacturing phase. Once the manufacturing is done, the application firmware can be updated via the CC bootloader interface.

You can try to flash the default firmware from the Power SDK firmware binary and confirm if the board gets programmed.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes