Change PSOC SPI's Mode on the fly

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KeSh_1984591
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hello Everyone,

I am using PSOC CY8C6137BZI-F54 chip for my project. I am using SPI in it. The querry is: Can I change the CPHA and CPOL of SPI on the fly during run time? For example I am using 2 Slave Select, is it possible that for 1 Slave select I use CPHA = 0 & CPOL = 0; and for 2 slave select data, I shall use CPHA 1 & CPOL 1?

I can do it taking another SPI that I am aware but I am out of GPIO's.

Please let me know if there is any workaround.

Thank You

Kevin

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi KeSh_1984591​,

Yes, you should be able to do this using PDL. But this will involve you to disable and re-enable the SPI hardware.

Define two different configuration structures. One that has CPHA = 0 & CPOL = 0 and other that has CPHA 1 & CPOL 1. Specific change would between the two structure would be as follows:   

cy_stc_scb_spi_config_t configA;

cy_stc_scb_spi_config_t configB;

/* Other configurations are not shown here and must be done by you */

configA.sclkMode = CY_SCB_SPI_CPHA0_CPOL0;

configB.sclkMode = CY_SCB_SPI_CPHA1_CPOL1;

if(slaveSelect1)

{

while(Cy_SCB_SPI_IsBusBusy()!=0); //Ensure that busy is idle before you disable the SCB block

Cy_SCB_SPI_Disable();  //Disable the block

Cy_SCB_SPI_DeInit(); // SCB block must be disabled before calling this funciton

Cy_SCB_SPI_Init(SPI_HW,  &configA, &context); //Init Config A.

Cy_SCB_SPI_SetActiveSlaveSelect(CY_SCB_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT0); //Set the active slave select0

Cy_SCB_SPI_Enable(); //Enable block only after all configurations are done

/* Start Transfer */

}

if(slaveSelect1)

{

while(Cy_SCB_SPI_IsBusBusy()!=0); //Ensure that bus is idle before you disable the SCB block

Cy_SCB_SPI_DeInit(); // SCB block must be disabled before calling this function

Cy_SCB_SPI_Init(SPI_HW,  &configB, &context); //Init config B

Cy_SCB_SPI_SetActiveSlaveSelect(CY_SCB_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT1); //Set the active slave select1

/* Start Transfer */

}

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi KeSh_1984591​,

Yes, you should be able to do this using PDL. But this will involve you to disable and re-enable the SPI hardware.

Define two different configuration structures. One that has CPHA = 0 & CPOL = 0 and other that has CPHA 1 & CPOL 1. Specific change would between the two structure would be as follows:   

cy_stc_scb_spi_config_t configA;

cy_stc_scb_spi_config_t configB;

/* Other configurations are not shown here and must be done by you */

configA.sclkMode = CY_SCB_SPI_CPHA0_CPOL0;

configB.sclkMode = CY_SCB_SPI_CPHA1_CPOL1;

if(slaveSelect1)

{

while(Cy_SCB_SPI_IsBusBusy()!=0); //Ensure that busy is idle before you disable the SCB block

Cy_SCB_SPI_DeInit(); // SCB block must be disabled before calling this funciton

Cy_SCB_SPI_Init(SPI_HW,  &configA, &context); //Init Config A.

Cy_SCB_SPI_SetActiveSlaveSelect(CY_SCB_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT0); //Set the active slave select0

/* Start Transfer */

}

if(slaveSelect1)

{

while(Cy_SCB_SPI_IsBusBusy()!=0); //Ensure that bus is idle before you disable the SCB block

Cy_SCB_SPI_DeInit(); // SCB block must be disabled before calling this function

Cy_SCB_SPI_Init(SPI_HW,  &configB, &context); //Init config B

Cy_SCB_SPI_SetActiveSlaveSelect(CY_SCB_SPI_SLAVE_SELECT1); //Set the active slave select1

/* Start Transfer */

}

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

Hey Bragadeesh,

Hey thank you again for helping me. I never knew this way to change the configurations. This makes PSOC6 very flexible.

Since I am new to PSOC6, I very keen to learn how to use the PSOC6 PDL. Is there any detailed documentation on how to use it on PSoC Creator? PDL just explains the functionality and not the methodology to use it.

This will be of great help to  me.

And thank You again for the answers.

0 Likes

Hi KeSh_1984591​,

You recommend you to refer the following app notes

1. Getting Started with PSoC 6 MCU on PSoC Creator

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an221774-getting-started-psoc-6-mcu-psoc-cre...

2. PSoC 6 MCU Code Examples with PSoC Creator

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/psoc-6-mcu-code-examples-psoc-creator

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

Thanks for all the help BragadeeshV_41​.

0 Likes