Wi-Fi doesn't boot when snapping off the KitProg3 module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PeTo_2990761
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First question asked

Hello,

I am running a Wi-Fi application on the PSoC6 Wi-Fi BT ProtoTypeing Kit (CY8CPROTO_062_4343W).

I am trying to power it externally using VTARG + GND at 3.3V. However, the power supply connected to these pins also backfeeds into the KitProg3, using lots of energy.

I snapped off the KitProg3 and can program just fine by supplying VTARG as noted in the user guide.

The board boots and I can talk to it through my UART interface when powering externally with no KitProg3 connected.

HOWEVER, the Wi-Fi will not initialize and it doesn't return an error.

Here is the init code. I am using mbed-os, and a grab the default instance, and then do a dummy connect to get the MAC.

pastedImage_0.png

When I power from USB via KitProg3 I see this (this is the expected behavior, seeing the "WLAN..."  messages):

pastedImage_2.png

And when I power it through VTARG with 3V3, I see this, where the interface does not initialize (note the absence of "WLAN..." messages):

pastedImage_1.png

Once I break off the KitProg3, is there any other mod that needs to be done? The User Guide clearly explains you need to power Vtarg on the board externally, which I do (with capacity to 300mA!), but the WiFi doesn't seem to power on.

Thanks,

Peter

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Peter,

I checked with the internal kits team regarding this.

If you power through the VTARG pin, only PSoC 6 gets powered, the radio does not get powered which explains why the WiFi init is failing. To power the board from an external supply, please provide 5V or 3.6V to the J17 connector (ensure that the 5V is not given by mistake to 3.6V, the radio will get damaged).

Also, the J3 jumper is connected between 1 and 2 (1.8V). Is this intended?.

An additional note, any power measurements, in this case, will not be correct as there are voltage regulators on the board, need to account for the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi Peter,

Can you try powering the device using the J10 USB connector instead of an external 3V3 source and let me know if that helps?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hello (again) Rakshith, ,

I cannot power with the USB plug because I need to measure the total energy of the board.

Or are you suggesting that there is a power-in / VRM-in that I should connect the external PSU to rather than VTARG?

Peter

0 Likes

Hi Peter,

The CYW4343W Power Management Unit (PMU) requires about 800mA peak current. This might be the reason why the WiFi init is failing and why I suggested to power the device using the USB port. Can you try using a different external power supply?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hello Rakshith,

When I connect a USB cable to J10 then power VTARG at 3.3V & 3000mA, the board boots as expected.

When I remove the USB cable, it does not boot, it stops as shown in the images in previous posts.

Here is a picture of my connectivity. The mini-grabbers are connected to an N6705 supplying power (3.3V, 3A). I'm using the correct VTARG pin, yes?

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks,

Peter

0 Likes

Hi Peter,

I checked with the internal kits team regarding this.

If you power through the VTARG pin, only PSoC 6 gets powered, the radio does not get powered which explains why the WiFi init is failing. To power the board from an external supply, please provide 5V or 3.6V to the J17 connector (ensure that the 5V is not given by mistake to 3.6V, the radio will get damaged).

Also, the J3 jumper is connected between 1 and 2 (1.8V). Is this intended?.

An additional note, any power measurements, in this case, will not be correct as there are voltage regulators on the board, need to account for the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith,

Thanks, this solves the problem. It must be a buck/boost VRM because I can supply 3V0 and it still works fine.

Not the best representation of the board's low-power, but it is good enough for a proof-of-concept comparison.;

Thanks for the help!

Peter

0 Likes