PWN not working on P13/P14 on BCM20732S - SDK 1.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

The PWM works on pins P26, P27, and P28. Physical pin of P28 is the same as P13. P13 is used for PWM3 and P28 for PWM2. Also PWM2 is connected to P14, but I could not get the PWM to work on P13/P14. All others work but not these two don't.

Also, if I use SDK 1.1.0 the PWM does not come out right, the pulses are inconsistent and change frequency after a while. Though they work just fine with SDK 1.0.1.

Plese help.

Thanks,

Mehrdad

0 Likes
1 Solution

Issue 1:

As it turns out, P13 and P14 are somewhat unique and the PWM output needs to be enabled a little bit differently on these two.

First enable/start PWM:
pwm_start(PWM2, LHL_CLK, toggle_value, init_value);      //// OR PWM3

Then output it on a GPIO:

If you want it on P28:
gpio_configurePin(28/16, 28%16, GPIO_OUTPUT_ENABLE, GPIO_OUTPUT_LOW);            ///// OR 29/16, 29%16 when P29 is available in the package.

If you want the PWM output on P14:

gpio_configurePin(14/16, 14%16, (2 << 4), GPIO_OUTPUT_LOW);                /////  OR 13/16, 13%16 when using PWM3

PWM2 is also available on P6 in which case the additional output to GPIO step should be:

gpio_configurePin(6/16, 6%16, (1 << 4) | GPIO_OUTPUT_ENABLE , GPIO_OUTPUT_LOW);               

Note that this procedure will be documented in the next SDK release.

Issue 2:

This occurs because sleep was disabled in 1.0.1, but enabled with 1.1.0 (and you will see the same behavior in 2.x). PWM does not function when sleeping. There are two options:

1. Disable sleep by registering a callback and then returning 0x00 when invoked for sleep.

2. Use LHL_CLK parameter when starting the PWM instead of PMU_CLK like in the sample. You may have to re-calculate the init and toggle values. The reference LHL clock is ~128KHz, so higher frequencies are not possible.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
asridharan
Employee
Employee
10 comments on KBA 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

The PWM HW block will be turned off when the device sleeps. With SDK 1.0.1, sleep was disabled globally, while with SDK 1.1.0, sleep is enabled for all applications. Disable sleep using the mechanism in uart_firmware_upgrade sample app using devlpm_registerForLowPowerQueries (if you are running a state machine when using the PWM, you may also return max time to sleep from the callback you register here if you know when in the future the PWM will start and disable sleep by returning 0x00 only when the PWM needs to be active to conserve power).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to clarify we have these issues:

Issue 1:

We could not get PWM to work on P13 and P14. Although We can get it to work on pins P26, P27, and P28. This is regardless of the SDK version.

Issue 2:

The PWM signal does not come out right (on the working pins i.e. P26, P27, and P28) if I use SDK 1.1.0 while the same code produces a PWM signal as expected if SDK 1.0.1 is used. The PWM signal using SDK 1.1.0 has inconsistent pulse width and changes frequency after a while. This issue is reproducible on broadcom tag as well running the hello_sensor sample code. If SDK 1.1.0 is used the buzzer sounds distorted.

0 Likes

Hello,

I wanted to check in to see if you were still having problems getting the PWM to work correctly.

If this is still a problem, take a look at the PWM sample app called pwm_tones in SDK 2.0.1 as this is a good reference for how to configure and use the PWM block. Note that this sample will work with SDK 1.1 as well.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

pwm_tones sample app is not very helpful here since they chose pins/PWMs that nobody has a problem with. Is there any other reference showing how to use PWM on the faulty P13/P14 ?

And yes, I tried to change pins in pwm_tones app to use P13/P14 but it did not work.

0 Likes

I will work with the firmware team to see if we can get this resolved.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

0 Likes

Issue 1:

As it turns out, P13 and P14 are somewhat unique and the PWM output needs to be enabled a little bit differently on these two.

First enable/start PWM:
pwm_start(PWM2, LHL_CLK, toggle_value, init_value);      //// OR PWM3

Then output it on a GPIO:

If you want it on P28:
gpio_configurePin(28/16, 28%16, GPIO_OUTPUT_ENABLE, GPIO_OUTPUT_LOW);            ///// OR 29/16, 29%16 when P29 is available in the package.

If you want the PWM output on P14:

gpio_configurePin(14/16, 14%16, (2 << 4), GPIO_OUTPUT_LOW);                /////  OR 13/16, 13%16 when using PWM3

PWM2 is also available on P6 in which case the additional output to GPIO step should be:

gpio_configurePin(6/16, 6%16, (1 << 4) | GPIO_OUTPUT_ENABLE , GPIO_OUTPUT_LOW);               

Note that this procedure will be documented in the next SDK release.

Issue 2:

This occurs because sleep was disabled in 1.0.1, but enabled with 1.1.0 (and you will see the same behavior in 2.x). PWM does not function when sleeping. There are two options:

1. Disable sleep by registering a callback and then returning 0x00 when invoked for sleep.

2. Use LHL_CLK parameter when starting the PWM instead of PMU_CLK like in the sample. You may have to re-calculate the init and toggle values. The reference LHL clock is ~128KHz, so higher frequencies are not possible.