USB BC support

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6
Distributor - TED (Japan)
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 250 replies posted

I want to supply power the system via USB-BC.

The configuration is as shown in the figure below.

USB_BC.jpg

If you have AC / DC, this is always the power source.

The tablet becomes UFP and receives power.

If there is no AC / DC, the tablet becomes DFP and supply power.

If AC / DC is connected when AC / DC is not connected, the tablet wants to do Power Role Swap immediately with AC / DC as the source.

In both cases, the tablet is always the Host.

Is this configuration possible with CCGx?

*USB-BC is used because the tablet does not support PD.

Thanks,

Tetsuo

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Tetsuo-san,

Please confirm the following points-

-The AC/DC supply will provide charging as per BC 1.2 DCP mode of 1.5A. In that case how will 5V/3A be provided to the tablet? Did you mean Type-C charging and not BC 1.2?

-For changing the table role to UFP or DFP based on the connected supply, role swaps would be required which is possible only with USB PD.

-The CCGx device could be configured as a DRP (with Try.Src set) to have the appropriate configuration based on power supply but then it would be fixed to be either a DFP, source or a UFP, sink.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Tetsuo-san,

Please confirm the following points-

-The AC/DC supply will provide charging as per BC 1.2 DCP mode of 1.5A. In that case how will 5V/3A be provided to the tablet? Did you mean Type-C charging and not BC 1.2?

-For changing the table role to UFP or DFP based on the connected supply, role swaps would be required which is possible only with USB PD.

-The CCGx device could be configured as a DRP (with Try.Src set) to have the appropriate configuration based on power supply but then it would be fixed to be either a DFP, source or a UFP, sink.

Best Regards,
Sananya

TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6

Sananya-san,

Thank you for your comments.

I will check power rale again.

Thanks,

Tetsuo

0 Likes
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6

Sananya-san,

I reconfirmed.

AC / DC supports USB-PD. Power is supplied from the AC / DC power supply to the adapter using the maximum type-C (USB-PD) standard.

The supply and demand of tablets is the USB-BC standard.

In this configuration, I want to switch between UFP / DFP with or without AC / DC power. It seems difficult to configure with USB-BC, but I think USB-PD is feasible. Is it correct?

If yes, I think that it change the tablet to PD standard.

Thanks,

Tetsuo

0 Likes

Hi Tetsuo-san,

Yes, that is correct. The ports of the PD controller in the system can be set to DRP and based on the connected AC/DC power supply it could switch roles to source or sink. But the tablet would require to be the DFP always since it is a host as well as become a sink when the supply is connected, so port role swap would be needed which is possible only with USB-PD.

Best Regards,

Sananya

TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6

Sananya-san,

Thank you very much.

I can understand very well.

Thanks,

Tetsuo