I2C Memory in Denebola Development kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ArSa_3842301
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hello,

I am carrying out an own design based on Denebola board. I know that is possible to store the boot image in both : into an SPI Flash memory or into an I2C EEPROM memory.

Denebola board has a single SPI FLASH memory model : M25P40-VMN6TPB. And two I2C EEPROMs models : AT24C1024B-TH-B. [both models are obsolete, by the way].

I am thinking of embedding an I2C EEPROM memory in my own design, in order to store the boot image. And for this reason I have the following questions:

- I assume that the Denebola board has two I2C EEPROMs, because each one has only 1Mb capacity (which is smaller than the firmware image). So for this reason it is      necessary to place two of them.  But, are there more compatible I2C that can work with CX3? plesase send me the device model

- I have seen the CX 3 bootloader store the boot image in both I2C memories, so what happens if i put a single bigger I2C memory, the bootloader will be able to store the firmware in a single I2C memory, or it is necessary to put two?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

"In the last picture, it is just necessary to connect (apart of VCC and GND) the SCL and SDA pins. And it is not connected both the Chip Enable (E2 pin) and the Write Control(WC). So I guess that I have to do exactly the same in my own design with the CX3."

=> Yes, your understanding is correct.

"So my question is ,what will happen if bootloader have to store the boot image into only one EEPROM device? It will be correct?"

=> Yes, there won't be any issues writing to/ reading from the suggested 256K STMicroelectronics EEPROM.

The Control center application can program the I2C EEPROM of the CX3 based on the I2C config selected while generating the firmware image file.

Refer to the KBA to understand the process of generating a bootable image: Generate Bootable Image File for FX3 with I2C EEPROM - KBA218344

Regards,

Yashwant

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
YashwantK_46
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 50 likes received

Hello ArSa_3842301​,

1.) You can use a single 2Mb EEPROM used in the FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer Kit which is M24M02-DRMN6TP and the you can find the datasheet from the following link: https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/b7/de/9b/f6/03/28/4e/8e/CD00290...

2.) A single I2C EEPROM can be used to write/read or store/boot from with CX3 and using 2 EEPROM is not necessary.

Regards,
Yashwant

0 Likes

And how should i connect the  M24M02-DRMN6TP memory with the CX3? 

Have i do it like in FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer kit, shown in the following image?

EEPROM_FX3 connection.PNG

In the last picture, it is just necessary to connect (apart of VCC and GND) the SCL and SDA pins. And it is not connected both the Chip Enable (E2 pin) and the Write Control(WC). So I guess that I have to do exactly the same in my own design with the CX3.

As you can see, in my last message, I have attached boot image writing process into the I2C EEPROM memories in Denebola board. This message is sending by the bootloader, from what is observed how the bootloader store the boot image in two different EEPROM memories.

So my question is ,what will happen if bootloader have to store the boot image into only one EEPROM device? It will be correct?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hello,

"In the last picture, it is just necessary to connect (apart of VCC and GND) the SCL and SDA pins. And it is not connected both the Chip Enable (E2 pin) and the Write Control(WC). So I guess that I have to do exactly the same in my own design with the CX3."

=> Yes, your understanding is correct.

"So my question is ,what will happen if bootloader have to store the boot image into only one EEPROM device? It will be correct?"

=> Yes, there won't be any issues writing to/ reading from the suggested 256K STMicroelectronics EEPROM.

The Control center application can program the I2C EEPROM of the CX3 based on the I2C config selected while generating the firmware image file.

Refer to the KBA to understand the process of generating a bootable image: Generate Bootable Image File for FX3 with I2C EEPROM - KBA218344

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes