CY4533 EZ-PD current output

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GaCo_4806816
Level 1
Level 1

If this boards selector is set to 5 what is the maximum current that can  be supplied at 20V is it currently restricted?   The board comes with no resistor on R10 and looks like 10K ohms on R12 this does not seem to figure in the table  on page 12 of the manual.   If I wish to have 100W does R12 just need to be removed  and what does (DNP)  mean in this table?  Thank for any help

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

CY4533 by default is set to 900mA current. Please refer to the below table which is present in CY4533 schematics file.

pastedImage_0.png

DNP refers to "Do Not Populate/ Do Not Place."

In order to achieve 5A Isink, the configuration must be,

R10 - 0Ohms   R12 - DNP

R13 - DNP        R4 - 0Ohms

Best regards,

Pranava

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

CY4533 by default is set to 900mA current. Please refer to the below table which is present in CY4533 schematics file.

pastedImage_0.png

DNP refers to "Do Not Populate/ Do Not Place."

In order to achieve 5A Isink, the configuration must be,

R10 - 0Ohms   R12 - DNP

Best regards,

Pranava

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes

Hi

Thank you for your assistance .

Kind regards.....Garth

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 13:27, PranavaY_81 <community-manager@cypress.com>

0 Likes
GaCo_4806816
Level 1
Level 1

I have now tested this board having altered the resistors to

R10 - 0Ohms   R12 - DNP

With a PD having 100w capabilities it works very well and 20V @ 5A  output is available.  I was disappointed to find that if you plug into an outlet that had originally been detected at VBUS 9 or 12V this no longer happens and only 5V is available.  Is this how it is intended to work and is there any way for the maximum voltage to be given while still having the 100w output when a suitable PD is available?

Kind regards..... Garth

0 Likes

Hi Garth,

When you configure BCR to request for 5A current. Other PDOs from Source with lower current values are rejected. Therefore you are only getting into a 5V contract. Can you please confirm if your outlet has 9V 5A and 12V 5A PDOs?

The only way to configure PDOs with multiple current values in BCR is to configure it every time from an Embedded Controller through HPI interface. You can also try configuring it using a host application EZ-PD BCR HPI Utility. https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-bcr-hpi-utility Please find HPI Specification and HPI Utility setup in the above link.

In short, 5V is expected output if there is no 9V 5A or 12V 5A PDOs in the source.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Pranava

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes