In MTB 2.2, how do I create a Project and BSP unique .modus design file since the design.modus file is shared?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

I'm starting projects in ModusToolBox 2.2.   I noticed that the Device configuration file (design.modus) is now in the shared area for the BSP.

I want create a unique .modus configuration for the Project and the BSP selected.

Is there anything I need to do special to achieve this?  If yes, where is this content saved in the project?

I don't want to change the shared content.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
1 Solution
Kenshow
Level 8
Level 8
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi Len,

I was in a similar situation. I hope the following is helpful:

How to set Device Configurator in Modus Toolbox2.2 for each project

Best Regards,

Kenshow

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Kenshow
Level 8
Level 8
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hi Len,

I was in a similar situation. I hope the following is helpful:

How to set Device Configurator in Modus Toolbox2.2 for each project

Best Regards,

Kenshow

Thank you Kenshow-san,

I have tried method 1 and 2.   Only method 2 works for me.

For some reason, method 1 throws multiple errors that I can't figure out why.   I based it off the USB_Audio project they cited.  I'm still confused.

I love that the libraries are now shared to minimize disk space and archive size when sharing projects with others.  However, it is my opinion that the design.modus content by its very nature is NOT a shareable library resource.

At a minimum, the design.modus file should placed in the shared space ONLY as a template.   When the Library manager links the shared libraries to the project, it should copy the design.modus file from the shared location to the project/BSP directory ONLY if there is no design.modus already there for the project/BSP.

This would allow the BSP template design.modus to be used on a "fresh"/new project.  It can then be modified by the user for the application intended.

However if the project was loaded/imported and the design.modus file was already configured, this would be the design-intended file to use because it was previously tailored to the application imported.   Having the other BSP resources from a shared space (if possible) would help to minimize disk space.

In summary, there are certain contents of a project/BSP that are unique to the application.  I believe the design.modus is one of them.  This would be the approximate equivalent to the TopDesign file in PSoC Creator.  This needs to be preserved and addressable at the project/BSP level.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
AlanH_86
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

Section 5.3 of the modus toolbox discusses creating custom bsp's

Here is a snip from the top of that section.

Alan

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes