Looking for Hub + MCU that can support PD and USB Audio

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoHe_4796991
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First question asked

Hello. I have an application where the input to my board is USB 2.0 Audio and USB 2.0 Data. The USB Audio has to be converted to a 3.5mm audio jack (analog). The USB Data has to be passed through to the output. My main constraint with this board is size, as this lives inside a cable. I also have to support USB PD.

Focusing solely on USB Audio, does Cypress have an MCU or USB Audio codec that can take in USB Audio and output analog signals for headphones? It also must have an analog in for a microphone.

Ideally Cypress has a part that can combine the 2 port USB2.0 hub aspect with the MCU.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. The PSoC 4 WLCSP package that you are referring doesnt support USB interface so USB audio class cant be implemented. Only the PSoC 4 L series supports the USB interface and I think all the packages are too large for your use (smallest is 7mm x 7mm TQFP package), even though it will be able to support all the interfaces required in your application. Please note that the smallest HX2VL part available is a 5mm x 5mm 28-pin QFN package.

For the PD controller, you could refer to CCG2, which has a 1.63 mm x 2.03 mm WLCSP package and is suitable for cable applications.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RoHe_4796991
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First question asked

I'll add that I can use an external PD Controller as I've done that in the past.

I think a USB2.0 hub with an integrated MCU could be a good solution. As long as the MCU can claim a USB port and convert the USB Audio to I2S, I can use an external I2S audio codec. I'm curious if Cypress has a part that can do this.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Likes

Hi Rob,

From my understanding of your application, you would have two USB 2.0 ports connected to your host and one of them would support USB audio class. Please add a system level block diagram if possible, which would also show the PD controller part in the application.

We dont have a USB 2.0 hub with an integrated MCU that can USB data convert to I2S signals. For the USB data, you could refer to HX2VL, specifically the two-port CY7C65634 part- https://www.cypress.com/file/114101/download

You could connect Port 1 from the hub to your external USB connector. For port 2, you could connect PSoC 4-L which would enumerate as a audio class device and convert the audio data to I2S signals for your external codec. Please refer to the USB audio code example and the kit schematic which supports input from microphone and output to an audio jack- https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-046-psoc-4-l-series-pioneer-kit

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi SananyaM_56,

Thank you for this information. I agree: a standard USB2.0 hub should work with one of the outputs going to something like a PSoC that can enumerate as a USB Audio Class device and convert the USB Audio to I2S. An I2S codec would also be used. Attached is a block diagram showing this solution.

BlockDiagram.png

A couple questions for you regarding the PSoC. The main constraint for this project is overall size. Do the PSoC options that come in the 3.23mm x 2.1mm WLCSP package support the USB bus and USB Audio enumeration? All the PSoC needs is the USB bus input, I2S data output, one I2C bus, and a handful of GPIOs. Are there certain packages, or other PSoCs, that support the USB Audio device class?

Thanks,

Rob

0 Likes

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. The PSoC 4 WLCSP package that you are referring doesnt support USB interface so USB audio class cant be implemented. Only the PSoC 4 L series supports the USB interface and I think all the packages are too large for your use (smallest is 7mm x 7mm TQFP package), even though it will be able to support all the interfaces required in your application. Please note that the smallest HX2VL part available is a 5mm x 5mm 28-pin QFN package.

For the PD controller, you could refer to CCG2, which has a 1.63 mm x 2.03 mm WLCSP package and is suitable for cable applications.

Best Regards,
Sananya