CYUSB3304 doesn't detect to warm reset signal

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lezh_2092821
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are an active cable vendor.Now we have a project to connect our cable to CYUSB3304, and it works fine, except that in some hosts, the host does not recognize the Hub when restarting.We debugged this problem and found that CYUSB3304 did not recognize the warm Reset signal sent by the cable, but strangely, it was ok to use EZ-USB FX3 to connect.Therefore, we want to know whether the firmware can be modified to make CYUSB3304 also be able to recognize Warm Reset.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Could you please let us know what boot mode the HX3 is configured as using the MODE_SEL pins? Please send us the USB traces on the upstream port using a hardware analyzer such as LeCroy when the issue occurs.

Since HX3 is a fixed firmware part, we cant modify the firmware. However, we recommend using the I2C master boot mode and using the latest B7 firmware from- https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/hx3-firmware

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Could you please let us know what boot mode the HX3 is configured as using the MODE_SEL pins? Please send us the USB traces on the upstream port using a hardware analyzer such as LeCroy when the issue occurs.

Since HX3 is a fixed firmware part, we cant modify the firmware. However, we recommend using the I2C master boot mode and using the latest B7 firmware from- https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/hx3-firmware

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
lezh_2092821
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sananya,

Thanks for the reply. I can't confirm the boot mode now but I will try later. I captured the USB traces, please check the screenshots. After received the Warm Reset signal, the Hub port transited to Recovery state, and the Host entered Compliance mode at last.

I hope it is useful. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the update. From the trace above, the hub doesnt seem to recognize the warm reset LFPS sent by the host and hence doesnt proceed to Rx Detect and Polling state similar to the host but goes to Recovery.Active state. The host then proceeds to compliance mode due to polling LFPS timeout. However, we cant conclude yet that the issue is with the hub firmware not detecting warm reset from cable.

Could you please attach other traces where the host can recognize the hub and the hub goes to the correct state from U3? Please also let us know if the warm reset is not recognized always when the hub is in U3 state?

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya,

Thanks you.

In fact, the warm reset is not recognized only when the cable is connected to some USB controller - we see this issue often on Intel USB3.0 controller. If we used other USB controllers, the link worked fine.  The warm reset signal was tranferred by our active cable, so I guess that some of the controller signals were not recognized by the hub after they were transerred by the cable. But I can't figure out the difference.

I believe that the hub USB state got stucked in eSS.Inactive state after received the warm reset signal. What I want to know is that if the hub firmware could get the USB port state and drive the USB Link state machine out to Rx.Detect state. If so, it would be a workaround.

BRs

Michael

0 Likes

Hi Michael,

For the Intel USB 3.0 host controller, is the warm reset not recognized when hub is in U3 state? And does it go to Recovery and then SS.Inactive state? Please attach the USB logs for that case as well.

If the hub is unable to detect the signals after Warm Reset, then there would be no way to workaround for that since the firmware is fixed.

Could you please try changing the boot mode to I2C master or slave mode and use the latest firmware in the first post? It could be possible that with that firmware, the hub would be able to come back to Rx.Detect state with the Intel USB 3.0 host controller.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Sananya,

I confirmed that the firmware is the latest, but the issue still occurred. Please check the attachment of the USB traces, I would like to know if you can modify the firmware, so that the Hub get the USB port state and drive the USB port to RX.detect state when detecting it is in ess.Inactive state? Please kindly advise.

0 Likes

Hi,

From the traces, we see that the host is exiting U3 after the hub sends Ping LFPS which seems to be incorrect. Following that, as mentioned before, the host is issuing Warm Reset LFPS but hub is treating it as Handshake LFPS and going to Recovery.Active.

Since its only occurring with Intel Host Controller, it could be a signal integrity issue. Could you please confirm if this occurs with all the boards?

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes