Cyw20719B2 TX current

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JiZh_4619191
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi,

If I set Adv and peer  tx power to min using tx wiced_bt_set_tx_power(), how large is the tx current?

I used different power parameters( 4, -12, -24) and observes dBm from CySmart , but it seemed that cyw20719b2 didn't changed tx power.

Best regards.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

For adv Tx power, please try the API : wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power()  (API details in wiced_bt_ble.h)

You may try example as below :

wiced_result_t result_1;

result_1=wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power(-4, NULL);

WICED_BT_TRACE("wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power result_1: %d\n", result_1);

To set the Tx power after connection, use API wiced_bt_set_tx_power

Regards,

Anjana

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

For adv Tx power, please try the API : wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power()  (API details in wiced_bt_ble.h)

You may try example as below :

wiced_result_t result_1;

result_1=wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power(-4, NULL);

WICED_BT_TRACE("wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power result_1: %d\n", result_1);

To set the Tx power after connection, use API wiced_bt_set_tx_power

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi Anjana,

As you recommend, I used wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power() and wiced_bt_set_tx_power() to decrease Adv TX power and Tx power after connection(power parameter are -24) . I observed current state from CyPE, but it seemed that cyw20719 current didn't decrease. Why?

Regards.

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

Typically the tx range for 20719 is +4dB to -16dB .  Can you please try within these limits ?

Meanwhile I will check internally and confirm the range for 20719B2.

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

Please use the values mentioned hereCYW20719B2 Product Guide

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi Anjana,

Thank you so much!

On CYW920719Q40EVB-01_EVALUATION_BOARD, I set up current:  wiced_bt_ble_set_adv_tx_power(-9) and wiced_bt_set_tx_power(p_conn_status->bd_addr, -9).

When CYW920719 sent notifications continuously, CyPE displayed "Total Avg Current:3.53mA", the current measured by ammeter is about 8.3mA!

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

Total current is not only depends on the tx power which you set . The Avg current shown by CYPE is a simulated one where as the actual value may differ , depending up on the peripherals running on your actual hardware design while measuring the current.

Did you measured the current across VDDIO or VBAT on the EVB?  Which example project you used for testing?

Switch LED1, LED2 switch if you are not using. Also remove thermistor enable header (J14).

If your goal is to reduce the current consumption, I would suggest you to include low power code in the implementation. Please refer to the low power guide lines https://www.cypress.com/file/415986/download

Its better if you  can create new thread for current consumption related discussion.

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi Anjana,

My project is derived from "BLE Throughput Measurement" of "CYW20719B2Q40EVB-01".

Since I want to measure the current consumption of CYW20719 chip, "8.3mA" current is measured across VBAT and 3V3 (J8).

Furthermore, I set up "Shut Down Sleep(SDS)" mode, the current that across VBAT is about 0.1mA.

Can I believe that "8.3mA" is the exact current consumption of CYW20719 chip?

Regards,

Jian

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

Since I have not measured the current for throughput example, I can't comment if your measurements are correct or not.

Also I am not sure if number you have mentioned is Average current or peak current .

However , since throughput example consists of continuous notification, yes there is chance of showing comparatively high number during that time. If you are measuring that number ,yes  it will be the current consumption of that board design.

If you want to still try to evaluate more and reduce current , as I mentioned before switched off all unused LEDs, remove thermistor jumper , disabled puart/debug logs before measuring.

A high level current consumption numbers tested on chip level is given in datasheet Table 18. Current Consumption BT/LE

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi Anjana,

On CYW920719Q40EVB-01_EVALUATION_BOARD, the CYW20719B1KUMLG current consumption is about 0.1mA, in "Shut Down Sleep (SDS)" mode.

Meanwhile, on CYW920719B2Q40EVB-01_EVALUATION_BOARD, the CYW20719B2KUMLG current consumption is about 3.4mA, in "Shut Down Sleep (SDS)" mode.

What is the difference between WICED-studio and ModusToolbox SDS mode configuration?

Regards,

Jian

0 Likes

I switched off all unused LEDs, remove thermistor jumpe on both boards.

0 Likes

It seemed that "PLACE_DATA_IN_RETENTION_RAM" is unavailable in ModusToolbox?!

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

I have done my best, but didn't resolve this problem.

Would you please check my project files?

In this project, client will write a "SLEEP_SERVER" command to set server into SDS mode.

Look forward to your favourable reply!

0 Likes

When client write a "SLEEP_SERVER" command, the sleep_handler() will return WICED_SLEEP_ALLOWED_WITH_SHUTDOWN and WICED_SLEEP_MAX_TIME_TO_SLEEP. And start from the begining. 

0 Likes

SDS related thread discussion continuing here: About cyw20719B2 Shut Down Sleep(SDS) mode

0 Likes