Ethernet communication

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
bime_4763896
Level 2
Level 2

Hello sir/madam,

I am using CYUSB301X/CYUSB201X controller for USB 3.0 communication for specific application.Now I want to use Ethernet communication in same board. is it possible without changing the CYUSB301X/CYUSB201X controller?

I came across your CYUSB3610 Gigabit Ethernet Bridge Controller. Can i use it in above application as add on board?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Bipin,

I understand from the above description that you want to use GX3 instead of FX3 to communicate with the Motion Control Card. Please confirm?
Also, what is the purpose of the FPGA? Is it related to the motion control card controlling?

CYUSB3610 (or GX3) will enumerate as a a USB ethernet device on the PC and we provide drivers for USB Ethernet Adapter functionality.

Since this is a custom functionality that you want, you would need to develop custom host application or adapter software.

Also, you can only use GX3 with the motion control card if the card supports an ethernet connection. If not, you can't use the GX3 in your application.

Regards,
Yashwant

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

GX3 has an integrated GigE MAC and PHY that supports multiple Ethernet modes including 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3ab), 10/100M Fast Ethernet (IEEE 802.3u), 10M Ethernet (IEEE 802.3) as well as Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az). GX3 is a USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet controller that enables developers to easily add Gigabit Ethernet connectivity to any system with a USB 3.0 port

Please refer to the block diagram of the controller https://www.cypress.com/products/ez-usb-gx3-superspeed-usb-30-gigabit-ethernet-controller

Please let me know if you want to know that if it is possible to add the integrated GigE MAC and PHY to CYSB3014/2014 or do you want to add the CYUSB3610 controller to your board. Please let us know more about your application so that we can help you with a good solution.

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

Hello sir,

In my current application I have interfaced CYUSB301X/CYUSB201X controller to FPGA through (GPIF port ) and to USB 3.0. Now I want Ethernet port in the above application.

Please let me know best solution with minimum change in hardware.

Regards,

Bipin

0 Likes

Hello,

Is there any controller with USB 3.0, I2C, Ethernet and GPIF Interface in your portfolio?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Bipin

0 Likes

Hello Bipin,

"Is there any controller with USB 3.0, I2C, Ethernet and GPIF Interface in your portfolio?"

=> We currently don't have any controller meeting the requirements specified above.

Also, CYUSB3610 can only be used as an Ethernet to USB 3.0 bridge and the reverse functionality, i.e., USB 3.0 to Ethernet bridge is not possible.

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes

Hello Sir,

"Also, CYUSB3610 can only be used as an Ethernet to USB 3.0 bridge and the reverse functionality, i.e., USB 3.0 to Ethernet bridge is not possible"

I didn't get exactly. "the reverse functionality, i.e., USB 3.0 to Ethernet bridge is not possible ??"

In my current application I have used CYUSB301X/CYUSB201X controller its usb 3.0 port, I have used for communication with PC. Now I want to use Ethernet Communication to communicate with PC instead of USB 3.0. Can i use CY4701 EZ-USB® GX3 as add on device for communication?

Regards,

Bipin

0 Likes

Hello Sir,

Can I use https://www.cypress.com/products/ez-usb-gx3-superspeed-usb-30-gigabit-ethernet-controller

this for Ethernet communication with PC?

Regards,

Bipin

0 Likes

Hello Bipin,

CYUSB3610 can be used as a bridge for Ethernet to USB 3.0 communication using the respective ethernet drivers provided on the driver support page.
CYUSB3610 doesn't have a GPIF interface.

CYUSB3610 can only be used as an ethernet (input) to USB 3.0 (output) bridge device and the reverse, i.e., USB3.0 (input) to ethernet (output) is not possible using CYUSB3610

In order to use CYUSB3610 in place of CYUSB301x/CYUSB201x, you will need to develop custom host app and firmware changes so that there is an intermediate device that can pack the data coming from sensor to valid GigE frames format so that the host can receive them and the host app should receive the GigE frames and decode the incoming frames.

" Now I want to use Ethernet Communication to communicate with PC instead of USB 3.0. Can i use CY4701 EZ-USB® GX3 as add on device for communication? "

=> Can you let me know how the CYUSB3610 will be interfaced in the circuit?
What would be the input and the output to the device?

Regards,
Yashwant

0 Likes

Hello Yashwant,

Thank you for quick response.

In my current application I have one Motion control card with CYUSB3014 controller interfaced to FPGA, I2C, USB 3.0 and I am using USB 3.0 to communicate with PC ie. sending some data from PC to Motion control card which is working perfectly.

Now I want to send the same data from PC to Motion control card through Ethernet port by connecting the bridge. Can I use CY4701 EZ-USB® GX3 as add on device for this communication?

Regards,

Bipin

0 Likes

Hello Bipin,

I understand from the above description that you want to use GX3 instead of FX3 to communicate with the Motion Control Card. Please confirm?
Also, what is the purpose of the FPGA? Is it related to the motion control card controlling?

CYUSB3610 (or GX3) will enumerate as a a USB ethernet device on the PC and we provide drivers for USB Ethernet Adapter functionality.

Since this is a custom functionality that you want, you would need to develop custom host application or adapter software.

Also, you can only use GX3 with the motion control card if the card supports an ethernet connection. If not, you can't use the GX3 in your application.

Regards,
Yashwant

0 Likes