UVC packets to video

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HABH_4794876
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to use FX3 to convert UVC USB3 packets to native Video (YUV 422) format. Is it possible to use FX3 for this application?

If yes, Does anybody have any reference design to start with?

With Regards,

Bhat

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

We do not have a reference example project for your requirement. We also  have not tested FX3 to accept Bulk OUT data from UVC driver.

But I feel that your requirement should be possible with FX3 provided the requests are handled properly as per the UVC specification. FX3's GPIF II block can be interfaced with the FPGA using Slave FIFO interface to provide the data to the HDMI monitor. More details on Slave FIFO Interface using FX3 can be found in the following Application Note:

https://www.cypress.com/file/136056/download

Also, FX3 can be used only to transfer the data obtained from host to FPGA. Processing of data should be done on the FPGA side.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

Can you please elaborate your application so that we can understand it better? This would help us to suggest a suitable solution.

According to my understanding, you want to send data from host to another peripheral interfaced with FX3. If my understanding is correct, how are you planning to interface the peripheral with FX3? Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Also, please let me know to which driver the FX3 device binds to at the host side.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello,

I have attached the system level signal flow.

I have seen below application note for image sensor application where video data is converted into UVC packets & played over USB3

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an75779-how-implement-image-sensor-interface...

"

AN75779 - How to Implement an Image Sensor Interface Using EZ-USB® FX3™ in a USB Video Class (UVC) Framework"

But, I want the reverse signal flow. I have USB3 camera which sends me UVC packets & I want to extract video data (8bit YUV/YCbCr) data and give it to HDMI/VGA based system (Any FPGA or ASIC) where I can interface to HDMI/VGA monitors.

With Regards,

Bhat

0 Likes

Hello,

We do not have a reference example project for your requirement. We also  have not tested FX3 to accept Bulk OUT data from UVC driver.

But I feel that your requirement should be possible with FX3 provided the requests are handled properly as per the UVC specification. FX3's GPIF II block can be interfaced with the FPGA using Slave FIFO interface to provide the data to the HDMI monitor. More details on Slave FIFO Interface using FX3 can be found in the following Application Note:

https://www.cypress.com/file/136056/download

Also, FX3 can be used only to transfer the data obtained from host to FPGA. Processing of data should be done on the FPGA side.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes