Custom WiFi Stack needing SDIO Commands

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnHa_4722236
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi.

We need to develop our own custom WiFi stack for a specific security application. We need to be able to bypass the WiFi stack and interface directly with the transceiver to do the following:

>> Send and receive raw data frames (we will create our own MAC headers).

>> Change channels.

>> Change data rates.

>> Setup Rx packet filters.

We believe that the CYW43340, CYW43012 and CYW4373E will fit our requirements (we also need Bluetooth BR + EDR + BLE),

We can see in the “snip.packet_filter” example code with some basic function for receiving Layer 2 frame data, but there aren’t any examples on how to send data in transceiver/monitor mode.

Can you please send me the reference manual with the SDIO commands that we can write our own functions with the above modules on our own microcontroller? These modules appear to meet our low power requirement and we will be ordering high volumes.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Bluetooth (BR + EDR + BLE),

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Andrew,

When using a Cortex-M4 the driver you you would be using is the WHD driver.

Wi-Fi Host Driver (WHD): Main Page

Thanks,

Venkat

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KotnaniK_71
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi Andrew,

We have the list of wl commands WL Tool for Embedded 802.11 Systems: CYW43xx Technical Information  where you can bypass the WiFi stack and interact with the interface directly. Please check the above document and see if it's helpful.

We can change the channels and data rates by using WL commands but I am not sure regarding rest of the functionalities(setup Rx packet filters & send and receive raw data frames). Please give me some time to check internally and I will get back to you with more information.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi.

Thank you for the message. The commands in the above linked document are for Linux commands for when a Linux system is interfaced with the CYW43xx WiFi transceivers. 

I should clarify my query above. We need to interface an ARM Cortex-M4 microcontroller with the CYW43xx WiFi devices using  SDIO serial communicates. This microcontroller will run with or without an RTOS (not Linux).

Can you please send through the reference manual for the SDIO serial communication commands to perform the above WiFi operations on the CYW43xx WiFi devices?

Many thanks, Andrew

0 Likes

Hello Andrew,

When using a Cortex-M4 the driver you you would be using is the WHD driver.

Wi-Fi Host Driver (WHD): Main Page

Thanks,

Venkat