What is the difference between the Octal and HyperBUS variants?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AdSi_4717311
Level 1
Level 1
5 questions asked 5 sign-ins First reply posted

I'm considering the S27KL0643/S27KS0643 memory part.

The microcontroller I am using is one of the newest STM32 parts, and I'm having trouble figuring out which variant of the memory I need. When creating the memory part number using the ordering information in the Cypress datasheet, the options are:

2 = 38-nm DRAM Process Technology- HyperBus

3 = 38-nm DRAM Process Technology- Octal

I'm still new to external RAM, so I am having trouble figuring out which variant I need.

The datasheet for the STM32 micro controller says this about the OCTOSPI interface:

The OCTOSPI supports most external serial memories such as serial PSRAMs, serial

NAND and serial NOR Flash memories, HyperRAM™ and HyperFlash™ memories, with

the following functional modes:

• Indirect mode: all the operations are performed using the OCTOSPI registers.

• Status polling-mode: the external memory status register is periodically read and an

interrupt can be generated in case of flag setting.

• Memory-mapped mode: the external memory is memory mapped and it is seen by the

system as if it was an internal memory, supporting both read and write operations.

The OCTOSPI supports the following protocols with associated frame formats:

• the standard frame format with the command, address, alternate byte, dummy cycles

and data phase

• the HyperBus™ frame format

0 Likes
1 Solution
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi,

Octal SPI or HyperBus are communication protocols. It will only establish the rules you will have to follow to communicate with the Hyper RAM. With the information you have provided for the micro controller you wish to use you can go for any of the variants.

You can use octal SPI protocol in the memory mapped mode. As the OCTOSPI interface supports the HyperBus frame format as well you can go for HyperBus protocol as well. It depends on how you wish to communicate with the device and which is more comfortable for you.

Regards,

Pradipta.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi,

Octal SPI or HyperBus are communication protocols. It will only establish the rules you will have to follow to communicate with the Hyper RAM. With the information you have provided for the micro controller you wish to use you can go for any of the variants.

You can use octal SPI protocol in the memory mapped mode. As the OCTOSPI interface supports the HyperBus frame format as well you can go for HyperBus protocol as well. It depends on how you wish to communicate with the device and which is more comfortable for you.

Regards,

Pradipta.

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes