1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2020 10:52 PM by YongQ_16 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Cypress Flash Programming using Nios II - Not working
        YongQ_16

Hello Syam,

I talked with our Application Engineer who did the verification and wrote the app note. The verification and app note is done based on Intel/Altera SPI Controller IP. The app note describes the configurations required for Cypress flash. Nothing related to the CS vs. clock cycles issue. This issue might come from SPI Controller IP. However, we don't have the access to the Intel/Altera SPI Controller IP and not able to debug. You may have to contact Intel to help on this issue. Not only Cypress flash but also other vendor's SPI flash won't work with this timing (i.e., CS not raising at multiple of 8 clock cycles).

The attached log doesn't mean that it is recognizing the commands correctly. It just shows the error message that flash is not found. This is expected result as the flash won't respond at all due to the incorrect timing.

One clarification for my earlier response about Override File sector_count = 64, the total sector count for S25FL064L is 128. But this won't cause any issue. When sector count=64, only half of the flash space will be used. To use the full flash space, set sector count to 128.

Best Regards,

Yong

• 16. Re: Cypress Flash Programming using Nios II - Not working
          symo_4766846

Thanks Yong. The application note says the solution described in it worked with Quartus 13.1. So if there was a problem with the SPI Controller IP of this version shouldn't it have appeared then ? Also is it possible to try implementing the app note design at your end and see whether it works as it says ?

We will contact INTEL anyway.

Best Regards

Syam

• 17. Re: Cypress Flash Programming using Nios II - Not working
            YongQ_16

Hello Syam,

Because CS and Clock signals are controlled by SPI controller, we guess it might come from SPI Controller IP. However, without accessing to the Intel/Altera SPI Controller IP,  it is difficult for us to know what the exact reason and reproduce the issue. You may show the scope pic (CS vs. clock) to Intel.

After this timing issue fixed, please let me know if the flash can be recognized.

Thanks!

Yong

• 18. Re: Cypress Flash Programming using Nios II - Not working
              symo_4766846

Hi Yong

While INTEL looks in to the issue we would like to look at the possibility of directly program the flash with out going through the FPGA. Can you please suggest a programmer for direct flash memory programming of S25FL064L ?

Best Regards

Syam

• 19. Re: Cypress Flash Programming using Nios II - Not working
                YongQ_16

Hi Syam,

Many programmer vendors support S25FL-L flash family. Please check below link for the full list of the programmer vendors.

https://www.cypress.com/products/device-programmer-system-partners

On the page, click "Flash Memories" tab. You will see a table. The 1st column lists the programmer vendors name which has the links to their websites. Look at the middle column with header "S25FL-L". The cell marks "Y" means that vendor supports S25FL-L. You may check with the vendors on the detail (e.g., which model supports S25FL-L).

Best Regards,

Yong

• 20. Re: Cypress Flash Programming using Nios II - Not working
                  symo_4766846

Thanks Yong.

Can you please check the attached images. I have marked a difference in the target design we created and that is there in the doc from cypress (AN98558). Any problem with our target design. No reply from Intel yet. Can you guys please check with Intel ?

Best Regards

Syam

• 21. Re: Cypress Flash Programming using Nios II - Not working
                    YongQ_16

Hello Syam,

Both images are correct. The cypress-design.png is the same as the Quartus 13.1 spi example (figure 2 in AN98558). Your design (degree-design.png) is the same as Quartus Prime 17.0 example (figure 3 in AN98558).

AN98558 first revision was created based on Quartus 13.1. It was updated to include procedural changes with Quartus Prime 17.0 after Quartus Prime 17.0 was available. Can you please check the AN98558 revision you are referring? The latest version of AN98558 is revision C.

Regard to Intel support, normally they are more responsive to their customers (e.g., your company). I don't think they will respond to my support request for this specific issue as we are not their customer. I will try to find out if our Intel interface will be able to help pushing them. But I am not optimistic.

Best Regards,

Yong

1 2 Previous Next