Can't upgrade CYPD3171 Firmware

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AhRa_4690531
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I am stuck with two different problems with the configuration utility and can't update any firmware on the CYPD3171 chip because of them

The first one:
when choosing read from firmware file option (ctrl+shift+o) and choose the default "CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_config.cyacd" or any other ".cyacd" file, i get the error  "Error: CYACD file does not contain configuration"

The second error:
When connecting CY4532 kit to program the CYPD chip and go through "Tools --> Firmware update" and select the "CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_config.cyacd" file the upload gets to 30% and then i get this error message:

PD contract established.

Restarting the target device

Re-negotiating PD contract after switching target reset

PD contract established.

Error: Invalid input file.

Error: Failed to read from file (C:\Users\hi\Desktop\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_config.cyacd)

Device is in boot mode: Starting FLASH update operation

Error: The file/path provided does not appear to exist

Error: Failed to read from file ()

Error: Failed to find valid firmware file for update

Error: Flash update procedure failed

Error: DLL call returned error while flashing

and sometimes the error at displayed at 99% of the download process and the cypd3171 does not show up ( only 1 device is detected instead of 2 ) so then i have to replace the chip and try to program it again

Note : i replaced the chip correctly many times and the software detects 2 devices before software download

Power SDK Version 3.4

Configuration utility version 3.1

So in a nutshell: i can't open ".cyacd" files from the "read from firmware" option, and i can't update the cypd-3171 software as the download stops due to the mentioned error at 30%, or the download completes to 99% and then stops and the cypd chip doesn't get recognized after that

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

For both the issues, reading/updating firmware were failing initially because you were using the config cyacd files. For reading from firmware and updating firmware through the EZ PD Configuration Utility, you should use CYACD files of the form CYPD3171-24LQXQ_<version>_pa.cyacd, i.e. the firmware binary for application without bootloader. CYPD3171-24LQXQ_config.cyacd is the binary file only for configuration.

For the second issue,

>> Please see Page 29 (Table 4-2) of the CY4532 Kit Guide:-

" This is expected if the new firmware is of different application than the previous one, as the jumpers J2, J3, and J4 on the main board are set for previous application."

Please refer to this FAQs https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-17219 to identify if the kit functionality is PA or PB?

Best Regards,

Mallika

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MallikaK_22
50 likes received 750 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

For the first one, please try reading the default HEX or CYACD firmware provided with the EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK Binaries- EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_3_4_0_2274_0_0_0_pa.hex and verify if you are able to read the default SDK configuration.

For the second error, please try programming the default CYACD file: EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_3_4_0_2274_0_0_0_pa.cyacd.

Please try the above mentioned steps and let me know the results.

Best Regards,

Mallika

Thanks for your reply,
For the first issue: Your solution solved it and i'm able to open the .hex file
For the second issue: The download stopped at 99% and gave the popup message in the picture and the following error log:

PD contract established.

PD contract established.

Programming data from file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_cla_3_4_0_2274_0_0_0_pa.cyacd

Firmware/Configuration write to flash completed

Firmware image (FW:1) is valid

Error: PD contract not established after RESET

Then only one device is discovered instead of 2 as before
ERROR2.png

0 Likes

Hi,

For both the issues, reading/updating firmware were failing initially because you were using the config cyacd files. For reading from firmware and updating firmware through the EZ PD Configuration Utility, you should use CYACD files of the form CYPD3171-24LQXQ_<version>_pa.cyacd, i.e. the firmware binary for application without bootloader. CYPD3171-24LQXQ_config.cyacd is the binary file only for configuration.

For the second issue,

>> Please see Page 29 (Table 4-2) of the CY4532 Kit Guide:-

" This is expected if the new firmware is of different application than the previous one, as the jumpers J2, J3, and J4 on the main board are set for previous application."

Please refer to this FAQs https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-17219 to identify if the kit functionality is PA or PB?

Best Regards,

Mallika

Hi MallikaK_41

I'm having the same problem.

The download stopped at 99% and gave the popup message in the picture and the following error:

Programming data from file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\binaries\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb\CYPD3175-24LQXQ_pa_direct_fb_3_5_0_2649_0_0_0_pa.cyacd

Firmware/Configuration write to flash completed

Firmware image (FW:1) is valid

Error: PD contract not established after RESET

2.PNG

I'm using CCG3PA (CYPD3175-24LQXQ)

Could you please give me/us any suggestion how we can solve this problem?

It will be a great help

Thank you

Genti

0 Likes

Hello Genti,

Please ensure the jumpers are set properly in accordance with the firmware you are upgrading.

This error is expected if the new firmware is of different application than the previous one, as the jumpers on the main board are set for previous application.

Please see Page 29 (Table 4-2) of the CY4532 Kit Guide for details.

Best Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes

Hi, Mallikak

Now, I get a different problem when update FW to CYPD3171 of CY4532-EVK mian borad:

First, I uesd EZ-PD Configuration Utility to update FW to CYPD3171 chip of CY4532-EVK successfully, twice!

Second, when third time to update CYPD3171 FW was fail;

Then, EZ-PD Configuration Utility  only can find one device(CYPD 4125),  can not find the device of CYPD3171!

I'm pretty sure  jumpers  setting is right, and I also update  CYPD4125 FW to MTK that not work.

So, can you help me,

Best Regards,
SJL
0 Likes

I also use CY4500 analyzer to check if CYPD3171 is work or not, from the protocol data  packet, this chip is still work!

0 Likes

Hi,

>>Please let me know which firmware did you try to flash on the CYPD3171 chip? The default cypd3171-24LQXQ_cla cyacd file from the SDK ? or any modifications were made to the default firmware?

>> Please share the complete Configuration Utility log  of the error seen after unsuccessful programming.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes

Hello,

the first firmware is the default cypd3171-24LQXQ_cla cyacd which build by cypd3171-24LQXQ_cla cywrk, the firmware version is 3.0.5.2649;

I change the version number of the second firmware and the app version,via the ccgx_version.h and app_version.h,like this:

For  the third firmware that update firmware failed, I add the  api function('dpm_pd_command()') into  app/app.c .like this:

I don't save Configuration Utility log  of the fail programming, but the error message just like the figure 4-8 in EZ-PD CCG3PA Evalution Kit Guide;

this log is  that Configuration Utility only find one devices :

Flashing device is UFP, initiating DR_SWAP

PD contract established.

0 Likes

figure1:

second-firmware-change.PNG

fingre2:

third-firmware-change.PNG

fingre3:

Configuration-Utility-log-when only find one device.PNG

0 Likes