Which SKUs are PPS source available on?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
OlEr_1999891
Level 5
Level 5
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hi!

I know that PPS (source) is available in the SDK/lib for CYPD317x, but which other SKUs? We use CYPD4226 and CYPD312x and there is no support as far as we can see. We need to add PPS source to our dual-port dock design. Are there any dual-port SKU that supports PPS source on both ports?

Cheers

Olof

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Olof,

PPS support is only present in CCG3PA, BCR parts and not on CCG3, CCG4 parts. Please check the page for the features support on all the products-

https://www.cypress.com/products/usb-type-c-and-power-delivery

So, dual-port parts such as CCG4, CCG5 dont currently support PPS source in the firmware.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Olof,

PPS support is only present in CCG3PA, BCR parts and not on CCG3, CCG4 parts. Please check the page for the features support on all the products-

https://www.cypress.com/products/usb-type-c-and-power-delivery

So, dual-port parts such as CCG4, CCG5 dont currently support PPS source in the firmware.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya!

Thanks for getting back. Had missed that feature matrix.

So, any public plans for when PPS will be added to more SKUs? I assume this is just a SW feature or? There is no way to implement this with SW at the source-code layer?

Cheers

Olof

0 Likes

Hi Olof,

Currently, there are no plans of adding it to the SDK for other parts. Since PPS implementation is quite strict on timing and has finer control over V and I, it is usually done with the analog feedback hardware block in CCG3PA with support from firmware.

It could be possible to implement the same on the firmware of other products but the code execution and communication with the PMIC has to be fast enough to meet the timing requirements.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya!

We are using SC8815 DC/DC controller on CYPD4226 so we could implement the required V and I management I believe. Should be no problem to handle to 20mV resolution since that granularity is supported by SC8815 DACs. We can configure the correct PPS PDOs I guess as well, so I guess it is the matter of implementing the PPS state-machine in firmware instead.

Would it be possible for you to provide some pseudo-code and which APIs to use? Typically based on the Host SDK 3.4 then.

Kind Regards

Olof

0 Likes

Hi Olof,

In that case, you could configure the parameters using the I2C interface, either directly or through an EC if there are two DC/DC controllers for the two ports. Please refer to the PPS implementation in the Power SDK projects, mainly CCG_PPS_SRC_ENABLE, CCG_PROG_SOURCE_ENABLE, VBUS_CF_EN. The code under the macros can be modified and added in the Host SDK project as per your implementation but please note that we have not tested this at our end.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya!

Thanks for the information. Just one question there: In the Host SDK, there are no implementation / library that contains these two functions and they are used by the Power SDK:

dpm_set_cf

dpm_pps_task

I assume these are contains in some of lib files which are lib/ccg3pa folder and not in the lib/ccg4pd3_dualport folder of the Host SDK.

So do we need to get access to a compiled version of the ccg4pd3_dualport  that contains the PPS-functions?

Or can that also that function somehow be done by us in custom firmware?

Kind Regards

Olof

0 Likes

Hi Olof,

Yes, your understanding is correct, those APIs are not included in the libraries even though they are declared in the header file.

Unfortunately, we wont be able include those and provide a compiled library as they are not meant to be used in host designs. You could try to implement those in the custom firmware based, currently they are being used to check any PPS related status change and update the dpm status flags.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sanaya!

Ok, I see. We are using CCG4 for a dock-design so for that use-case it is important customer request to support PPS and at least one of the C-ports, especially now since more and more phones requires the feature to maximize charging. Only having the PPS feature on the CCG3PA targeting chargers is a very unfortunate.

I think it might be too advanced task for us to implement the PPS-part completetly by ourselves. Would it be possible if you provide some form of pseudo implementation of the state-machine? I guess the largest task is to handle the polling and a verification of the current limits?

Cheers

Olof

0 Likes

Hi Olof,

Thanks for the details, I understand the use-case now. We actually have a reference design with CCG3PA and the SC8815 that has PPS support but it wont be suitable for your dual-port dock design. So far, we dont have any working code of I2C based PPS because as you mentioned, it is difficult to implement the polling and current limit verification completely on the firmware so we couldnt pass the PD certification.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes