PSoC 5LP Dedicated Tutorial Videos

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoRo_4659551
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 likes given

Hi All,

Is there a PSoC 5LP dedicated tutorial videos using CY8CKIT-001? or do i need to use the PSoC 4 tutorial videos as reference?

Thanks,

Roy Roif.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Roy,

Here is a link to a page displaying PSoC5-specific videos:  https://www.cypress.com/products/32-bit-arm-cortex-m3-psoc-5lp

If you can describe what you'd like to learn, we can help steer you in the direction of other videos, App Notes, example projects and more.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9

Roy,

Cypress has many videos some might be specific to the PSoC5.

What are you looking to do?

There are a number of example projects that highlight specific aspects of the part, (ie ADC, CapSense, DAC, UART, etc).

These are a good way to learn and piecemeal a custom project together.

Len

Len
0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9

Roy,

Here is a link to a page displaying PSoC5-specific videos:  https://www.cypress.com/products/32-bit-arm-cortex-m3-psoc-5lp

If you can describe what you'd like to learn, we can help steer you in the direction of other videos, App Notes, example projects and more.

Len

Len

Hi Len,

Thank you very much for the link, i am using PSoC 5 in the DAQ [data acquisition] board i designed and i would like to configure the MCU so i can use the different ports i designed [analog and digital IO, relay, etc].

Is it possible to do so just by connecting the modules together in PSoC Creator? or do i have to write code?

Thanks,

Roy Roif.

0 Likes

Roy,

The beauty of the schematic entry via TopDesign is that the HW connections to many of the components are assigned at design-time.  This means if the TopDesign portion compiles without issue in the Application Build phase, the HW connections via UDBs, datapaths and Fixed Function blocks are loaded into the PSoC between the reset and running main().

Note however, that due to power savings, and other initialization sequence operations, many of the components have their own <component>_Init() and <component>_Start() API calls to allow for you to control when (or if) these components get started in code.

If you've already designed the DAQ board, you should be able to pre-assign the digital and analog IO by first allocating the pins in TopDesign.  The pin type can be assigned as Input HiZ digital or analog, Output can strong drive, weak drive, OD low or OD high or Birdirectional.   In many cases you can combine I or O characteristics.  These pins will be pin number UNASSIGNED.

pastedImage_3.png

Since you already have designed the DAQ board, you then need to:

1. Go into the DWR (Design Wide Resource) group
  2. Select the "Pins" sub-group.
  3. Find the pin name assigned.
  4. Bring the "Ports" column.
  5. A list of available port pins will allow for a manual selection.
  6. A "GREEN" box to the far left indicates that pin fits your IO type selection.  If it isn't GREEN, you probably will be restricted from selecting it or advised not to select it.
  7. Once a selection has been made, the Check mark in the "Lock" column shown be present.   This locks the pin show you need to change the TopDesign in the future.

pastedImage_8.png

If you have not committed your design to a PCB build yet, this is the best option.  This allows you to reassign IO if needed.  Normally the IO routing for both analog and digital IO is very flexible.  Having said this, there is "preferred" IO assignments in the PSoC to get the optimal performance.  For analog and digital there are preferred pins to gain the lowest resistance routing.   This allow for high output drive or faster input or output max operating frequencies.

With this in mind, my strategy is normally to first lock in the pins that MUST be hard assigned.  In my case this is the serial port for IO debugging to the KitProg board connected to the Kit I'm using.   Next build your TopDesign with NO other pin assignments.   Let the Application build.   Evaluate the pins assigned after a successful build.   Cypress will try to optimize the pin assignment but they don't have the details of your specific design intent.   If I want to use some different pins, I change them in the DWR/Pins window and rebuild the Application.   If the build is successful, I move on the phase to write the Application code.

Len

Len

Ah ok thank you very much

0 Likes