Where to find standard SPP implementation for CYBT-343026-01?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaTA_4677866
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

Hi  Cypress,

I've to use CYBT-343026-01 to make a bridge between BT and UART using SPP.
On the UART side we want be able to to reply to the commands received from the paired-BT-device and to send some Cypress-HCI-protocol command to handle the module.

There is a "ready to use" firmware (or the source code) to download to the module in order to implement this?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Maurizio

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi MaTA_4677866 ,

As per your description , I suggest you to use the example available here : mtb-examples-CYW920706WCDEVAL-btsdk-rfcomm/rfcomm/spp_multi_port at master · cypresssemiconductorco/...

which uses SPP in WICED HCI mode + UART interface

You need to install Modus Tool Box IDE to download the application : https://www.cypress.com/products/modustoolbox-software-environment

Reference:

MTB helpful materials : GitHub - cypresssemiconductorco/CypressAcademy_WBT101_Files: Files for WICED Bluetooth 101 class

Regards,

Anjana

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi MaTA_4677866 ,

If you are using WICED SDK ( WICED Studio Wi-Fi/Combo Docs & Downloads  ), please refer to SPP examples available

- SPP demo path - 20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/snip/bt/spp

- HCI SPP demo path- 20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/hci_audio_gateway

If you are using Modus Tool Box SDK (https://www.cypress.com/products/modustoolbox-software-environment ), you may refer to example application RFCOMM-CYBT-343026.spp

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi Anjana,

I'm using WICED SDK and:
- SPP demo (path - 20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/snip/bt/spp)

It implements some not standard features (eg. a loop for sending a char every second).

I mean: this is a demo, not a production firmware to be used as is.

- HCI SPP demo (path - 20706-A2_Bluetooth/apps/demo/hci_audio_gateway)

It implements unwanted audio gateway.

I need a standard implementation of SPP using Cypress-HCI-protocol.

Because this is a common feature I supposed it is natively implemented into the firmware and no more code is needed (except that for basic configurations, e.g. name, pin, etc).

Maybe I've to develop by myself?

Thank you!

Regards,

Maurizio

0 Likes

Hi MaTA_4677866 ,

CYBT-343026-01 supports standard SPP protocol.

Yes, you need to develop your application.

1. If you want to use CYBT-343026-01 in HCI mode , you can use HCI UART interface to send standard BT HCI commands. In your case , you can use SIG standard commands for SPP protocol.

2. If you want to use CYBT-343026-01  in embedded mode, then you can develop your own application using our IDE (WICED SDK) using the SPP library APIs available (Refer /20706-A2_Bluetooth/libraries/common/spp_lib ). For that you can refer to the demo which I pointed.

Regards,

Anjana

Thank you for the answers,
As I understood we have to tailor our application starting from examples, and there is no pre-made binary we can just use, and that implements the full Wiced HCI protocol.

I have just one question:

Why Cypress bothers to publish a 180 page document about the details (to bit level) of the Wiced HCI protocol, when this is not implemented anywhere just to be used?

Frankly I expected that the Wiched protocol was already on module just to be used, and if, and only if, we need something else we have to resort to write our own code and application.

At the moment I have no additional need, other than what is offered by the Wiced Hci protocol commands and events.

Thanks for any clarification.

Regards.

Hi MaTA_4677866 ,

WICED HCI commands in WICED-HCI-Control-Protocol.pdf is basically follows the standard HCI commands with additional headers.

So ideally in your case, you can directly use the standard SPP HCI commands through device HCI UART. If you want , you can directly use WICED HCI commands as well, however the response packet formats you need to refer from the document.

WICED HCI commands are used when , our device have to be communicated with host MCU via HCI interface , still the response data have to be processed inside application in chip. For example , the watch app , hci_spp_demo in SDK.

In summary,

The chip can be in HCI mode or in application mode.  In the HCI mode, there is no embedded applications and device works as a Bluetooth HCI controller.  In the HCI mode the chip can process HCI commands/data from the host and will reply with HCI events/data. HCI communication is standard for all chips from all manufacturers and defined in the Bluetooth Core specification. Some Cypress chips also support embedded mode. Meaning that the host can load an embedded application which will run on the chip.  After embedded application is loaded, it can talk to the host, but not using HCI commands/events.  Typically a host talks to the embedded app using WICED HCI commands/events.  These are Cypress proprietary.

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi AnjanaM_61,

I just want to use WICED HCI commands through device HCI UART.
So I've to program (or reset) the module to the WICED-HCI mode.
Well, how can I do?
If there is standard/default '.hex' file to download to the module, where I can find it?
If there is a 'restore-to-WICED-HCI-mode' command (software or hardware) how can i invoke it?

Thank you!

Best regards.

0 Likes

Hi MaTA_4677866 ,

As per your description , I suggest you to use the example available here : mtb-examples-CYW920706WCDEVAL-btsdk-rfcomm/rfcomm/spp_multi_port at master · cypresssemiconductorco/...

which uses SPP in WICED HCI mode + UART interface

You need to install Modus Tool Box IDE to download the application : https://www.cypress.com/products/modustoolbox-software-environment

Reference:

MTB helpful materials : GitHub - cypresssemiconductorco/CypressAcademy_WBT101_Files: Files for WICED Bluetooth 101 class

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes