WICED Regulations/Radio Test Libraries

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PaBo_4310606
Level 2
Level 2
First like received Welcome!

Hello

I'm working on a firmware to put our WiFi/BLE transmitter in test mode for regulatory testing. According to the regulatory guide, I need to contact Cypress and obtain a .clm_blob

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an225347-cypress-wi-fi-clm-regulatory-manual

Can I instead integrate the wl_tool in our firmware or are there any libraries I can use?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

PaBo_4310606 Are you using a module or a bare die as is? If module, please contact your module vendor, If bare die please contact local sales/marketing and they should be able to help you with the BLOB and the wl tool.

Can I instead integrate the wl_tool in our firmware or are there any libraries I can use?

--> by this do you mean that you have the wl tool and can't load it? Are you working on linux/WICED? What is the chip under consideration?

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

PaBo_4310606 Are you using a module or a bare die as is? If module, please contact your module vendor, If bare die please contact local sales/marketing and they should be able to help you with the BLOB and the wl tool.

--> by this do you mean that you have the wl tool and can't load it? Are you working on linux/WICED? What is the chip under consideration?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi MuraliR_36

We're using a WiFi/BLE module based off CYW4343W which is already supported in WICED. For example, we use WICED libraries to build out WiFi applications.

I can see wl_tool is available in project/libraries/test/wl_tool/4343WA1 but as far as I get it's meant to be used off a command line. We have access to the WiFi module's UART and was wondering if we could use the tool from within our main processor or have some way of accessing the tool otherwise.

0 Likes

PaBo_4310606 yes the 4343WA1.exe is meant to be executed along with a command line. There is one other option you can try which usually fails since the 4343 doesn't have sufficient memory to support to load the wl_tool. Never the less, you can try making the CONSOLE_ENABLE_WL :=1 in the console.mk file of the test.console application and see if the build goes through on your setup. If it does, it will give you an option of using the wl commands from the serial terminal.

Another option which you can try is, if your chip is based on a linux based platform, then you can get a wl tool compiled for your system and use it to carry out tests.

PaBo_4310606
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks MuraliR_36​. I think I'm getting my head around it now. I have access to the wl_tool source files but I can't fit the compiled .exe onto the chip so in effect I don't have the tool.

Our main mcu is not linux based and we can't really compile the tool on it either.

So I guess my question is, can I use the wl_tool source files to put the WiFi chip in test mode without compiling the tool itself?

0 Likes

PaBo_4310606 use the test.mfg_test application. Once you load this onto your board, navigate to \43xxx_Wi-Fi\libraries\test\wl_tool\ open a command line window and use the command as below

4343WA1.exe --serial serial_port_number command

for example to test the clmver, you can use the command as below based on your seial port number.

4343WA1.exe --serial 28 clmver

Thanks

0 Likes
PaBo_4310606
Level 2
Level 2

I've got access to UART only via our main mcu and not directly. In theory I can mod the PCB to tap into the WiFi's UART but I don't really want to resort to that. My goal is to achieve it programatically without using the compiled .exe

0 Likes

PaBo_4310606 Yes, this can be done. You can have a look at test.console application to see how to implement the required wl commands into you application.

0 Likes