45W car charger référence design >> power bank

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chch_3621411
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

Hello there I have a question if I implemente 45W car charger using Southchip SC8815 and it works fine and  i'm thinking about using CYPD3171 instead of CYPD3175 to make it a powerbank dual role is there a change that should be done in hardware side ?

Or only in the firmware ?

I appreciate all your answer

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hii,

Since CYPD3171 and 3175, as well as Southchip's SC8915 and 8815, are pin to pin compatible you can configure it to work as a Power bank application.

The following changes has to be carried out:

1) For making it a DRP, you need to modify the hardware like adding consumer FET and checking the VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE connections.

2) And the firmware should be changed for the required application.

You can refer application diagram form the datasheet for additional details. 

I hope this has answered your doubt.

Regards

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hii,

Since CYPD3171 and 3175, as well as Southchip's SC8915 and 8815, are pin to pin compatible you can configure it to work as a Power bank application.

The following changes has to be carried out:

1) For making it a DRP, you need to modify the hardware like adding consumer FET and checking the VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE connections.

2) And the firmware should be changed for the required application.

You can refer application diagram form the datasheet for additional details. 

I hope this has answered your doubt.

Regards

Abhilash P