Cannot use pin as digital HW output when it is connected to an analog HW mux.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoBr_1593366
Level 5
Level 5
100 sign-ins 50 questions asked 100 replies posted

I had a pin set up as analog in to a comparator and also digital in.  I moved it to a scanning comparator, and got this error:

If a GPIO pin is connected to an AMuxHW component, its digital input is expected to be used by the matching digital control signal on the AMuxHW component. So this GPIO pin's digital input signal should be reserved for the matching digital control signal on AMuxHW component only.

This is because it kept the hardware digital connection but automatically disabled the digital output?

2020-08-11 15_51_03-Configure 'PSOC_VBUS_MON'.png

The digital output probably shouldn't be disabled without also disabling the HW connection?  Otherwise we have to click to enable output and then disable HW and then disable output again.

Also I don't understand the second part of the error.  There is a digital control signal I could access that matches what the GPIO's digital output would be?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Jonathan,

I agree that the error message could have been improved in this case. The actual issue is due to AmuxHW mux implementation which prevent from connecting same input to the multiple inputs. An alternative solution to resolve your problem might be to use a comparator and AMux software mux combination.

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,

Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
JoBr_1593366
Level 5
Level 5
100 sign-ins 50 questions asked 100 replies posted

Actually even after I disable the HW connection it still produces the same error:

2020-08-11 16_03_22-Configure 'PSOC_VBUS_MON'.png

0 Likes

Wait, why does it says digital OUTPUT?  It's an input pin, it was never used as an output.  Even if I create a new analog pin and connect it this way, it still gives the same error.

Cannot use pin Pin_1(0) as digital HW output when it is connected to an analog HW mux.

But it's not!

2020-08-11 16_12_12-Configure 'Pin_1'.png

I don't understand this error.  It seems like a bug?

PSoC3

Scanning Comparator v1.10

Pins 2.20

0 Likes

Then I get errors like

Signal "Net_5163" is expected to connect to only one GPIO analog pin but instead it connects to "\Comp_1:ctComp\". Please fix the connection.

and when I try to double click on it, it says

The selected notice does not have an associated 'location'.

But it does have a location, it's the net on the schematic.  When I double click it should highlight that net.

0 Likes

I think the actual problem is that I had a single GPIO connected to multiple inputs of the scanning comparator, so it internally tries to connect it to multiple inputs of the AMuxHW.  The error message could be improved to clarify this? 

I want to scan 3 inputs with different thresholds for each, but also use 2 different thresholds for one of them.

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Jonathan,

I agree that the error message could have been improved in this case. The actual issue is due to AmuxHW mux implementation which prevent from connecting same input to the multiple inputs. An alternative solution to resolve your problem might be to use a comparator and AMux software mux combination.

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,

Vasanth

0 Likes

Ok. It would be nice if things like this could be built into the existing scanning comparator component.  (Comparing a single GPIO input to multiple VDAC thresholds.)

0 Likes