Any way to determine cause of reset?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
legic_1490776
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 10 likes received First like received

My application has started resetting occasionally.

Is there any way to determine the cause of the reset when the application starts up?

I don't think it is caused by the watchdog, because I don't see any message on the trace output.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Idgirod,

Personal(Meaning me, JT, NOT to disregard present engineering efforts) Debug Approach:

1. Is a reset observed when running the example Apps?
  2. What changes, if any, have been done to the example App (Connection Period, Scan Interval, etc.) if one was used as a reference?
  3. Are the resets periodic?
  4. Can an "abridged" version of the Trace Output be produced for an in-depth analysis?  What messges are being produced?
  5. Is a Frontline Sniffer available to see if the Advertisements, Connections and associated packets being received and transmitted are what is expected?

In an earlier message, you mentioned you were using a Timer:

1. Is the reset observed if the timer function is removed?

I can add to my list here, but I wanted some feedback from you.

JT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Idgirod,

Personal(Meaning me, JT, NOT to disregard present engineering efforts) Debug Approach:

1. Is a reset observed when running the example Apps?
  2. What changes, if any, have been done to the example App (Connection Period, Scan Interval, etc.) if one was used as a reference?
  3. Are the resets periodic?
  4. Can an "abridged" version of the Trace Output be produced for an in-depth analysis?  What messges are being produced?
  5. Is a Frontline Sniffer available to see if the Advertisements, Connections and associated packets being received and transmitted are what is expected?

In an earlier message, you mentioned you were using a Timer:

1. Is the reset observed if the timer function is removed?

I can add to my list here, but I wanted some feedback from you.

JT

0 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions.

The resets appeared to be happening at a time when nothing much was going on (no unusual trace messages), but it could possibly have been coincident with the fine timer callback. 

It's entirely possible that the cause is a hardware issue - my test hardware is cobbled together and has a lot of dangling wires.  Monday I will have properly manufactured boards to test, so I will hold off on further investigation until then.  (Also because I seem to have broken my hardware just now .. )

If it persists with the new boards, I will do some more investigation and get back to you.

0 Likes

JT- My new hardware no longer suffers from reset problems -- most likely it was caused by flaky wiring.

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Idgirod,

Great!  You are welcome!

I see that you are now progressing to the other timer configurations and sleep modes, correct?:

http://community.broadcom.com/thread/1450

http://community.broadcom.com/thread/1436

Or are these issues resolved?

JT

0 Likes

These issues are not resolved yet.

Figuring out how to put it into sleep mode is the biggest issue for me right now — ideally using the lower power 32k crystal to get the best performance?

Right now I am seeing 50-60 microamps in my idle state, and i would really like to cut this down to 25 or less.

I don’t think I have yet been able to put it into sleep or deep sleep, and i’m not sure how to do it.

0 Likes