BCM20737S layout footprint

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
huangj
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome! 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Hi everyone,

The following picture is our PCB layout footprint. We use the footprint to make our test board. But we have some trouble, our success rate of soldering  is only 60%. Even we use the stencil, the success rate of soldering is still low. Our hardware team think the problem is in the soldering(4 GND Pad-45~48 is float). So they would like to change BCM20737S layout footprint. The hardware team would like combine 4 GND pad(45~48) into a GND pad. Will it affect the performance of the antenna?

1459314981776.jpg

13222.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Huangj,

What is missing from your image is the Soldermask for your pins along with what ends up happening on your PCB design if you have a GND Pour on Layer1 as to how this affects the GND pins that are on the Module.  I have developed numerous different PCB's based on the BCM20736S, BCM20737S, and earlier on the BCM20732S and I have had nearly 100% success.  The ultimate affect of a GND pour on Layer1, Vias and Via Sizes used underneath the package, and defined Soldermask all are extremely important in how well any sort of QFN/LGA package will adhere to a PCB. 

As an example I have shown a screenshot of our newest EMRF-20737S-TH which is a Micro Breakout board for the BCM20737S with Pushbuttons, LED's, DC/DC, and a Slide switch to easily go between Debug/App and Programming mode...you will see that there is very minimal solder mask, 3mil around each pad and that the GND pour underneath the package is a 'Hatched' GND pour so as to allow a moderate thermal relief allowing the center pads to heat appropriately.

Also notice there are Minimal Vias used underneath the LGA package and in fact there is a 'DUMMY' via in the Upper Left hand corner to ensure the package sits flat, I.E. - There are Vias essentially in each corner underneath the package so it does not 'tombstone'.

pastedImage_0.png

Regards,

Frank

Embedded Masters

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

We will need to check with our packaging house to see if this is this is ok.

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

From whom are you getting your SIP module? This vendor should be in a better position to advise.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I checked and this should not be an issue.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a look at Broadcom's reference designs:

iBeacon:

iBeacon BCM20737S Reference Design PDF Schematic (Module)

iBeacon BCM20737S Reference Design Gerber Files (Module)

iBeacon BCM20737S Reference Design Allegro Layout File (Module)

Wiced Sense 2

WICED Sense 2 Schematic Files

WICED Sense 2 PCB Files

or, the most important bit for you as a screenshot of the top layer of the iBeacon PCB:

BCM20737S_top_layer.png

(soldermask as well as stencil only had the smaller individual openings as in you first image, not a big open ground pad!)

Oliver

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Huangj,

What is missing from your image is the Soldermask for your pins along with what ends up happening on your PCB design if you have a GND Pour on Layer1 as to how this affects the GND pins that are on the Module.  I have developed numerous different PCB's based on the BCM20736S, BCM20737S, and earlier on the BCM20732S and I have had nearly 100% success.  The ultimate affect of a GND pour on Layer1, Vias and Via Sizes used underneath the package, and defined Soldermask all are extremely important in how well any sort of QFN/LGA package will adhere to a PCB. 

As an example I have shown a screenshot of our newest EMRF-20737S-TH which is a Micro Breakout board for the BCM20737S with Pushbuttons, LED's, DC/DC, and a Slide switch to easily go between Debug/App and Programming mode...you will see that there is very minimal solder mask, 3mil around each pad and that the GND pour underneath the package is a 'Hatched' GND pour so as to allow a moderate thermal relief allowing the center pads to heat appropriately.

Also notice there are Minimal Vias used underneath the LGA package and in fact there is a 'DUMMY' via in the Upper Left hand corner to ensure the package sits flat, I.E. - There are Vias essentially in each corner underneath the package so it does not 'tombstone'.

pastedImage_0.png

Regards,

Frank

Embedded Masters

Hi Frank,

Thank you for comment. I will tell the result to my hardware team. We will reduce each pad size to 0.3 * 0.5(mm), and use new footprint to make stencil and test board.

boont

Our vendor is Avnet. We check the issue from them, but the problem is very urgent. So I post the question to the community. I got the mail from Avnet FAE, and they give us some suggestion.

Regard,

Jack

0 Likes