Cannot get DMA trigger output to work with a chain of two descriptors

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ChRe_4711096
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

I'm trying to achieve the following:

One component in my design outputs a trigger signal. On each positive edge of this output, I'd like use one DMA channel to do the following things:

- Transfer one halfword from the SAR ADC to a 16-bit UDB

- Transfer one word from a timer to a memory location (uint32_t)

- when both are done, the DMA channel should generate one output trigger that is routed into the UDB.

I connected the DMA channel's trigger input and output to a scope.  I can see the input triggers, but the output is silent. These are my descriptors:

DMA_EOS_descr_adc.png

DMA_EOS_descr_timer.png

My guess is that, since descr_timer is chained back to descr_adc, an endless loop is created and no trigger is generated because the entire (endless) chain is never completed. However, I've tried many other combinations of settings and none of them had the desired result.

I've also attached the current state of the whole project (the DMA component in question is in the top level design).

I'm thinking about handling DMA errors with the DMA's interrupt. It would be triggered only on errors, not on channel completion. Any advice on this is appreciated, but not the main point of this question.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach

Hi ChRe_4711096 ,

To answer your initial question about "cascading the DMAs" please find the attached project in which I have cascaded two DMA components. The input trigger to the first DMA (DMA_1) is given using the TCPWM based counter.

DMA_cascade.PNG

Please check if it is working at your side and update me.

Thanks

Ganesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Christoph,

One doubt regarding the design, why the descriptors are chained to each other ? How often the trigger signal (EOS out) is generated?

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
lock attach

The descriptors are chained because they transfer both a timestamp and an ADC sample. Two of these tuples are used to calculate the time at which the ADC input crossed zero. EOS out is triggered at roughly 360 90 kHz, and I might try to double that to 720 180 kHz. (Sorry for the previous values - they were the sum for 4 ESC components)

I've attached an 8-bit demo of the UDB I'll use to extract the ADC sample sign and generate separate triggers based on that. It also allows to set a threshold around zero, for blanking out noise.

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi ChRe_4711096 ,

To answer your initial question about "cascading the DMAs" please find the attached project in which I have cascaded two DMA components. The input trigger to the first DMA (DMA_1) is given using the TCPWM based counter.

DMA_cascade.PNG

Please check if it is working at your side and update me.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes