Same project produces different output in Creator 4.3 vs 3.3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoBr_1593366
Level 5
Level 5
100 sign-ins 50 questions asked 100 replies posted

I'm trying to migrate a project from PSoC Creator 3.3 to 4.3, but it doesn't work when compiled in 4.3.  I'm using the same project and source files, just opening the workspace in 4.3, but it doesn't compile to the same .hex file.  Which output files from the build should I compare between the two outputs to find where the discrepancy is?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Please check if all the component versions and cyboot versions that you are using is the same in 4.3 as in 3.3. Note that PSoC Creator 4.3 usually will have a minimum version for all the components. So to point to the version of the component used in 3.3, you might have to add the 3.3 component libraries available in the path as project dependency: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\3.3\PSoC Creator\psoc\content\CyComponentLibrary\CyComponentLibrary.cylib" and point to the .cyprj file.

After this build your project and see if things work.

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please check the versions of the components that you are using in the topdesign file. When the component versions change the firmware corresponding to those components will change.

>>"I'm trying to migrate a project from PSoC Creator 3.3 to 4.3, but it doesn't work when compiled in 4.3."

--> Can you please elaborate more on this? Does the application got corrupt?

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

The component versions have not changed.  I simply opened the same workspace in PSoC Creator 4.3, after building it successfully in 3.3, but it no longer works correctly.  It says it compiled successfully, but the binary output is not the same and parts of it do not work.  How can I view the plain text that was used to generate the binary files to identify which part is different?

0 Likes

One difference is a clock that is supposed to be running at 10 Hz.  In PC3.3 it works, but in PC4.3 it outputs low continuously.

0 Likes

Please check if all the component versions and cyboot versions that you are using is the same in 4.3 as in 3.3. Note that PSoC Creator 4.3 usually will have a minimum version for all the components. So to point to the version of the component used in 3.3, you might have to add the 3.3 component libraries available in the path as project dependency: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\3.3\PSoC Creator\psoc\content\CyComponentLibrary\CyComponentLibrary.cylib" and point to the .cyprj file.

After this build your project and see if things work.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

I found a discrepancy in _timing.html:

PC3.3:

PC3.3 Static Timing Analysis Report.png

PC4.3:

PC4.3 Static Timing Analysis Report.png

Notice the SLOW_CLK and LED_CLK are not the correct frequency anymore.  That would explain the difference in behavior I'm seeing.

Also CyBUS_CLK has changed to ClockBlock.  I'm not sure what that means.

0 Likes

Setting the tolerance on the clocks causes them to generate the correct frequency.

I'm not sure if anything else is different.

0 Likes

JoBr,

I noticed the following clocks don't match between the 3.3 and 4.3 Creator application builds:

• CyBUS_CLK (fixed[-function) is missing but a new clock ClockBlock/clk_bus_glb_ff has been assigned but is "Unknown".
  • LED_CLK is 6.8x higher.
  • SLOW_CLK is 6.8x higher.

I know this might be asking alot.  Can you share your project?   If it's propriety, I understand.  However to protect your IP, you can not included the .c or .h files.   Just include the project with the TopDesign.

The TopDesign is all that is needed to create the Application build phase which is when the Clocks you listed above get calculated and assigned.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

No I can't, but it's based on the Music Creation example project.  I could share it by email

0 Likes

JoBr,

I'm not familiar with the Music Creation example project.

There is a way to share it with the forum.  You would have to switch to the "Use advanced editor" in the upper right corner of the dialog box.  Once in the advanced editor, there is an "Attach" button on the bottom right to allow you to upload the project.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

I'm not familiar with the Music Creation example project.

It's the project from https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-033a-psoc-3-mfi-made-ipod-iphon...  It can't be posted in public

0 Likes