Exact life of flash memory on CYW943907AEVAL1F?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ChWh_4742936
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I'm programming with an application that needs to store a little bit of data (~1KiB). I decided to play with DCT, but according to the documentation of:

> Ensure that this function is only called occasionally, otherwise the flash memory wear may result.

So I wonder the exact life of the so-called flash memory, and the rough definition of "occasionally". However I did not find any documentation or posts about this. As a result I come to the community. Thanks.

消息编辑者为:Chuigda Whitegive

0 Likes
1 Solution

ChWh_4742936 what that means is if you keep calling wiced_dct_write() multiple times in an application, it ultimately results in the writing of the sflash. Now since the number of times the write/erase for an sflash is defined in its life-cycle, doing the dct_write multiple times will eat up write cycles and the life of the flash may reduce.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hello ChWh_4742936

Can you let me know the document where you found the mention of 'flash memory wear'?

The typical life cycle of the flash would be mentioned in the datasheet of whichever flash memory that you are using.

However, the writing of DCT shouldn't cause any wear reduction in the life cycle of the flash since the DCT is ultimately stored on the Flash itself, like any other data.

Thanks

it comes from the documentation of `wiced_dct_write`.

pastedImage_0.png

Page WICED-Studio-6.4/43xxx_Wi-Fi/doc/API/group__dct.html#ga3fe20b47c74d1c5688c7456296f46a6b (sorry, I cannot find online documentation so I'm using relative path to my offline one).

0 Likes

ChWh_4742936 what that means is if you keep calling wiced_dct_write() multiple times in an application, it ultimately results in the writing of the sflash. Now since the number of times the write/erase for an sflash is defined in its life-cycle, doing the dct_write multiple times will eat up write cycles and the life of the flash may reduce.

0 Likes