How to create a dual bank firmware update

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
anng_4696981
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I have the CY8C4045 chip.  Does it support dual bank firmware update?  If so, how to create dual bank firmware image?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Anh,

>>"First can the chip support dual bank so we can update the new bank and switch to new bank after that?  It means every time it has new fw, it switches to boot from new bank, ping pong between bank 0 and bank 1.  If so, can PSoc creates different images for bank 0 and bank 1?"

--> The device supports only single block of Flash memory.

>>"If cannot not do that, then can this chip does Dual-Application Bootloader?  I think create App0 as a bootloader to boot to App0 then decide to boot to App1 or App2."

--> Yes. PSoC 4000 family supports Dual Application Bootloader. Your understanding is correct.

Please find the attached reference project for Dual Application Bootloader. The commands Bootloader_Exit(Bootloader_EXIT_TO_BTLDB_1);

Bootloader_Exit(Bootloader_EXIT_TO_BTLDB_2); and Bootloader_Exit(Bootloader_EXIT_TO_BTLDR); are used to switch to App_1, App_2 and Bootloader mode respectively.

Each App (App0/App1) produces 2 cyacd files App0_1.cyacd and App0_2.cyacd . You have to bootload accordingly to place them in the partition 1 or partition 2 in the flash.

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Can you please elaborate more on your query? Do you mean Dual-Application Bootloader?

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

I use the chip CY8C4045.

First can the chip support dual bank so we can update the new bank and switch to new bank after that?  It means every time it has new fw, it switches to boot from new bank, ping pong between bank 0 and bank 1.  If so, can PSoc creates different images for bank 0 and bank 1?

If cannot not do that, then can this chip does Dual-Application Bootloader?  I think create App0 as a bootloader to boot to App0 then decide to boot to App1 or App2.

Thanks,

Anh Ngo

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Anh,

>>"First can the chip support dual bank so we can update the new bank and switch to new bank after that?  It means every time it has new fw, it switches to boot from new bank, ping pong between bank 0 and bank 1.  If so, can PSoc creates different images for bank 0 and bank 1?"

--> The device supports only single block of Flash memory.

>>"If cannot not do that, then can this chip does Dual-Application Bootloader?  I think create App0 as a bootloader to boot to App0 then decide to boot to App1 or App2."

--> Yes. PSoC 4000 family supports Dual Application Bootloader. Your understanding is correct.

Please find the attached reference project for Dual Application Bootloader. The commands Bootloader_Exit(Bootloader_EXIT_TO_BTLDB_1);

Bootloader_Exit(Bootloader_EXIT_TO_BTLDB_2); and Bootloader_Exit(Bootloader_EXIT_TO_BTLDR); are used to switch to App_1, App_2 and Bootloader mode respectively.

Each App (App0/App1) produces 2 cyacd files App0_1.cyacd and App0_2.cyacd . You have to bootload accordingly to place them in the partition 1 or partition 2 in the flash.

Thanks and regards

Ganesh

0 Likes