How to write the firmware to a new BLE module(CYBLE-416045-02)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
TaTa_2447651
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

I am developing a product using the BLE module (CYBLE-416045-02) of PSoC 63.

The base firmware is CE222802, a sample project.This project is divided into two projects, and "CE222802_Bootloader_Encrypted_App0.cydsn" plays the role of Bootloader.

When I use "PSoC Programmer" to program the firmware built in the Bootloader project to a new BLE module, at first glance it looks like that I succeed to write it without an error, but it is not actually written.

However, when I use "PSoC Creator", I can program it and also it is written successfully.

Strangely enough, when I program it with "PSoC Creator" at first, I can program it with "PSoC Programmer" without an error after the second time.

Is it possible to program by using "PSoC Programmer"? If so, please tell me how to program it.

------------------------------

PSoC63のBLEモジュール(CYBLE-416045-02)を使用して製品を開発しています。
ベースとなっているファームウェアはCE222802というサンプルプロジェクトです。このプロジェクトは2つのプロジェクトに分かれており、「CE222802_Bootloader_Encrypted_App0.cydsn」
のほうがBootloaderの役割を担っています。

Bootloaderのほうのプロジェクトでビルドしたファームウェアを「PSoC Programmer」を使用して新品のBLEモジュールにプログラムしたところ、エラーは発生せずに正常
に書き込みができたように見えるのですが、実際には書き込めていません。
これに対して「PSoC Creator」からプログラムすると正常に書き込めます。
また、「PSoC Creator」で一度プログラムすると、それ以降は「PSoC Programmer」でプログラムが出来るようになります。

新品のBLEモジュールに「PSoC Programmer」からのプログラムが出来ないのは仕様なのでしょうか?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi TaTa_2447651​,

Could you also send me the Programmer Option screen for PSoC Programmer?

Here is the snapshot of that -

pastedImage_2.png

I erased the device and I tried programming in HID mode and I could observe the issue. I enabled SFlash under Memory Types as shown and then programmed the device. This time the LED was blinking. Can you please try the same and let me know if that helps?

pastedImage_4.png

I can't connect when I press MODE (SW3) on Kit to "CMSIS-DAP/BULK".

Can you please try upgrading the firmware as shown and let me know if you are able to connect to the device in BULK mode?

pastedImage_8.png

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi TaTa_2447651​,

When I use "PSoC Programmer" to program the firmware built in the Bootloader project to a new BLE module, at first glance it looks like that I succeed to write it without an error, but it is not actually written.

Can you please let me know the error that you are facing? If you can, please attach a screenshot of the PSoC Programmer tool when you try to program the device?

Can you also attach the project that you are using? Or at least a minimalistic version of the project in which you are facing the issue? This will help us in debugging.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith M B.

I attached the current project and a screenshot of "PSoC Programmer".

I just changed GPIO pin on the sample project "CE22280210" provided by PSoC.

Please unzip the attached project. And try to program the binary file below by using PSoC Programmer.

\CE22280201\CE222802_Bootloader_Encrypted_App001.cydsn\CortexM4\ARM_GCC_541\Debug\CE222802_Bootloader_Encrypted_App001.hex

After you program successfully, normally the green LED should flash, but the LED is actually off.

The current development environment is described below.

Board : CY8CPROTO-063-BLE PSoC6 BLE Prototyping Kit

PSoC Creator : 4.3(4.3.0.1445)

PDL : 3.1.1

PSoC Programmer : 3.28.6.4409

Best regards.

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi TaTa_2447651,

Thank you for sharing the project. I extracted the project. The hex files were not present in the archive, so I built the project using PSoC Creator 4.3

PDL : 3.1.1

Even though you might have PDL 3.1.1 installed, the project is using PDL 3.0.4 as shown -

pastedImage_2.png

The CE requirements also mention an older version of PDL -

pastedImage_3.png

Can you please confirm this at your end?

I just built the project and programmed the hex file as you suggested using PSoC Programmer. I could observe the Green LED blinking. To confirm I erased the device and programmed the same file again and I was still able to see the LED blinking.

To check if I have overlooked anything, I am attaching the hex file that I used to program. Can you please try programming this hex file and check? Also, can you please share the complete project that you used or the hex file that you used for programming?

Meanwhile, I will try programming the hex file on a different device.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
lock attach

Hi RakshithM_16.

Thank you for your response.

I have attached a compressed file of the project including the hex file.

The PDL I am using was 3.0.4, not 3.1.1. The correct environment is described below.

Board: CY8CPROTO-063-BLE PSoC6 BLE PrototypingKit

PSoC Creator: 4.3 (4.3.0.1445)

PDL: 3.0.4

PSoC Programmer: 3.28.6.4409

I tried to program the hex file that you have attached, but it doesn't work.

The situation has not changed and the green LED did not blink.

Best regards.

0 Likes

Hi TaTa_2447651,

I programmed the already present hex file in the archive using PSoC Programmer. I am able to observe the Green LED toggling.

This my understanding of the issue so far. Please let me know if I am missing something -

If you are programming the device using PSoC Creator the Code Example is working and the LED is toggling. But if you use PSoC Programmer you are unable to observe the LED toggling.

Do you have access to another Kit that you can try to program? Also, can you try another Code Example and let me know if you are facing the same issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith.

Thank you for your answer.

-----

If you are programming the device using PSoC Creator the Code Example is working and the LED is toggling.

But if you use PSoC Programmer you are unable to observe the LED toggling.

-----

You are right.

I can write successfully when programmed from PSoC Creator, but I can't write from PSoC Programmer.

The important point is that I can’t write for “a brand new microcontroller” by PSoC Programmer.

Once I write in PSoC Creator, I can write in PSoC Programmer after the second time.

I have some CY8CPROTO-063-BLE PSoC6 BLE Prototyping Kits.

I’ve tried it for the other kits as well, but it still doesn’t work.

Moreover, the same is true of a board with CYBLE-416045-02 under development.

Also, another sample code can be written by PSoC Programmer from the beginning.

Only CE22280201 cannot be written.

I would like to compare your PSoC Programmer environment with mine.

Could you please attach the version of PSoC Programmer you are using and the detailed instructions for writing (PSoC Programmer capture image)?

Best regards.

0 Likes

Hi TaTa_2447651​,

The important point is that I can’t write for “a brand new microcontroller” by PSoC Programmer.

I do not have an unused CY8CPROTO-063-BLE. As I have not been able to reproduce the issue, I will raise an internal request so that the development team can evaluate this issue.

Here are the details that you requested -

PSoC Programmer version information:

pastedImage_2.png

PSoC Programmer Settings and Log:

pastedImage_3.png

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith.

pastedImage_0.png

And, in my environment, the Port Selction in the upper left corner of the screen is "CMSIS-DAP/HID" as shown below.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Best regards.

0 Likes

Hi TaTa_2447651​,

Here is the snapshot of that -

pastedImage_2.png

I erased the device and I tried programming in HID mode and I could observe the issue. I enabled SFlash under Memory Types as shown and then programmed the device. This time the LED was blinking. Can you please try the same and let me know if that helps?

pastedImage_4.png

Can you please try upgrading the firmware as shown and let me know if you are able to connect to the device in BULK mode?

pastedImage_8.png

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith.

I enabled SFLASH and programmed the device. Then I was able to program it successfully. Thanks!

Also, I upgraded the firmware but could not connect with the "CMSIS-DAP/BULK".

pastedImage_0.png

Best regards.

0 Likes

Hi TaTa_2447651​,

This issue appears to be similar to the one mentioned in KitProg3 User Guide. Can you please follow the steps mentioned on Page 22 and let me know if it helped?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith.

Thank you for your advice.

I followed the KitProg3 user guide and reinstalled the drivers, but I can't connect in BULK mode.

I was able to connect in BULK mode on the other PC I have. So I think it's a problem with the environment of the first PC I used.

I will use a PC that can connect in BULK mode in the future.

Thanks and Regards.

0 Likes

Hi TaTa_2447651,

Thank you for providing an update regarding this. Glad you are able to work with the device for now. However, if you encounter the same issue again, please create a thread and we will try to resolve the issue.

Best Regards,

Rakshith

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes