Bluetooth File Transfer to Windows

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ClFu_4740231
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hello,

In my firm, we need to implement a Bluetooth file transfer from an embedded device to a Windows PC. Our use case is, that with the integrated Bluetooth file transfer function of Windows 10 it should be possible to receive a file from the embedded device (similar than sending a file from an Android device to a Windows PC). We would like to control the Bluetooth module with an external Cortex-M0 controller. To our knowledge, we would need to do this with Bluetooth Classic and the OBEX/FTP protocol. Is there any module from Cypress that supports these protocols? As I have seen, WICED BT SDK supports OBEX.

On which modules does it work?

Can you confirm that with our use case it should be done like this?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

We have added support for CYW20706 in latest version of Modus Toolbox and other chips like CYW20719, CYW20819 are also supported and updated frequently. As of now, we don't have EOL plan for these modules. 

Yes it is possible to control the BT modules from an external host over UART. We have detailed documentation available for the same in WICED-Studio-xx\Doc\WICED-HCI-Control_Protocol.pdf. Similar document is available in Modus Toolbox as well.

We don't have a demo example demonstrating Obex protocol implementation as such but you can check available functions and APIs in libraries folder: /20706-A2_Bluetooth/libraries/obex_lib (for CYW20706).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi clfu_4740231​,

We have wide range of Bluetooth chips and modules supporting Obex protocol. Please have a look at Modules -> WICED-based EZ-BLE and EZ-BT Modules here: https://www.cypress.com/products/ble-bluetooth

Also, CYW020706, CYW20719, CYW20819 chips can be considered as an option, we have eval boards available for these chips. Please check Products section at above link. You will get full support from Cypress on WICED Studio & Modus Toolbox softwares depending on your product selection.

Hi SheetalJ_96 ,

Thanks for your help!

Is it also possible to control these modules with an external Cortex-M0 microcontroller through a simple UART/SPI interface with AT commands? Or would this need to be implemented by the customer when using an external microcontroller?

Do you provide examples on how to use the OBEX/FTP protocol?

What is the product lifetime of these

0 Likes

What is the product lifetime of these modules?

0 Likes

We have added support for CYW20706 in latest version of Modus Toolbox and other chips like CYW20719, CYW20819 are also supported and updated frequently. As of now, we don't have EOL plan for these modules. 

Yes it is possible to control the BT modules from an external host over UART. We have detailed documentation available for the same in WICED-Studio-xx\Doc\WICED-HCI-Control_Protocol.pdf. Similar document is available in Modus Toolbox as well.

We don't have a demo example demonstrating Obex protocol implementation as such but you can check available functions and APIs in libraries folder: /20706-A2_Bluetooth/libraries/obex_lib (for CYW20706).

0 Likes

That sounds good

I looked through the HCI-Control_Protocol document but I could not find support for OBEX commands there. Is it only possible to use the OBEX protocol through the WICED SDK?

0 Likes

It is possible to send all the standard HCI commands (available in BT core spec) from external host along with the WICED HCI commands mentioned in the pdf.

0 Likes

Is there a newer version available of the WICED HCI UART Control Protocol PDF? I only find this version: https://www.cypress.com/design-guides/wiced-hci-uart-control-protocol

HCI_CONTROL_GROUP_OPS description is not listed in this document. However, I can find the implementation in the WICED SDK.

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Likes

Please check pdf version available in Modus Toolbox 2.0. It is updated to latest rev.

0 Likes

I have installed the latest Modus Toolbox but cannot find the documentation for HCI UART Control Protocol. Where can i find the latest version?

Thanks.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Please check attached.

Thanks for the PDF!

But I have another question. Which HCI commands are for OBEX/OPP handling? I still cannot find them in the newer version.

0 Likes

Hi ClFu_4740231,

I would suggest you to look at the document carefully. The document describes the method to send HCI commands from an external host to BT module. There is detailed description about the WICED HCI commands in the doc.

However, for Obex, you will need to look at standard HCI commands defined by BT SIG. You can send all standard HCI commands from external host to module, which commands are used for implementation of the protocol, that you have to figure out.