CYBT-343026 I2C not working.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
NeDh_4602711
Level 5
Level 5
5 solutions authored First solution authored 50 replies posted

Hello

I am trying to connect MLX90614 to CYBT-343026 using I2C communication. I have connected SDA and SCL to the highlighted pin.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_0.png

I have chosen WICED_I2C_SDA_I2S_DOUT_PCM_OUT_SCL_I2S_DIN_PCM_IN (also tried using WICED_I2C_SDA_P35_SCL_P37 but no result.) because in datasheet pin description has below detail.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_1.png

I have written the below code. Also, I have attached the code file for your reference.

APPLICATION_START()

{

wiced_transport_init( &transport_cfg );

wiced_set_debug_uart(  WICED_ROUTE_DEBUG_TO_HCI_UART );

wiced_hal_puart_set_baudrate(115200);

WICED_BT_TRACE("**** App Start **** \n\r");

uint8 wbuf[2]={0};

uint8 rbuf[3]={0};

wiced_hal_i2c_init(WICED_I2C_SDA_I2S_DOUT_PCM_OUT_SCL_I2S_DIN_PCM_IN );

wiced_hal_i2c_set_speed(I2CM_SPEED_100KHZ);

wbuf[0]=0x07;

int wstatus = wiced_hal_i2c_write(wbuf,1,0x5A);

wiced_hal_i2c_read(rbuf,3,0x5A);

WICED_BT_TRACE("\nvalues %X %d \n\r",rbuf[0],wstatus);

WICED_BT_TRACE("**** App End **** \n\r");

}

But I am getting the everytime same output

**** App Start ****

values FF 1

**** App End ****

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In wiced_hal_i2c.h library I can only see wiced_hal_i2c_read() function has parameters of readbuf,buflength and slave address, but I had done the same in PSOC creator there was I2C_1_I2C_MODE_NO_STOP parameter to wait for a response. Similarly in this modustoolbox how can implement the same?

PSOC Creator I2C function:

uint8 readRegister(uint8 address,uint8 *Wbuff,uint8 *Rbuff){

//   SW_Tx_UART_1_PutHexInt(address);

I2C_1_I2CMasterWriteBuf(address, (uint8 *)Wbuff, 1, I2C_1_I2C_MODE_NO_STOP);

while((I2C_1_I2CMasterStatus() & I2C_1_I2C_MSTAT_WR_CMPLT)==0){}

I2C_1_I2CMasterReadBuf(address, (uint8 *)Rbuff, sizeof(Rbuff), I2C_1_I2C_MODE_REPEAT_START);

while((I2C_1_I2CMasterStatus() & I2C_1_I2C_MSTAT_RD_CMPLT)==0){}

// SW_Tx_UART_1_PutString("Received : ");

//  SW_Tx_UART_1_PutHexInt(Rbuff[0]);

/// SW_Tx_UART_1_PutString("\n");

return Rbuff[0];

}

Please correct me if I am wrong. above code is sufficient to read the i2c device's register value? or I am missing anything?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Neeraj

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello AnjanaM_61​,

The problem has been solved. The problem was in the I2C Slave address you had given a reply in #3​ and suggested to shift the slave address right by 1.

#define I2C_ADDRESS (0xYY >> 1) /*I2C sensor slave address*/

After checking the CYW920706WCDEVAL Hardware User Guide I saw the slave address shifted left by 1 and not right.

it should be #define I2C_ADDRESS (0xYY << 1) /*I2C sensor slave address*/

Also, there was 1 more change as my I2C sensor gives a response on demand (I2C write request) instead of using wiced_hal_i2c_write() and then wiced_hal_i2c_read() is used wiced_hal_i2c_combo_read() and it works for me.

Thank you so much for your help Anjana

Thanks and regards,

Neeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
AnjanaM_61
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

Hi NeDh_4602711 ,

Can You try the example code provided here: Re: Question problem i2c CYW20706 &amp; CYBT-343026-eval

Also, I would suggest you to use PUART for debug logs. You may have to use the PUART pins correctly and call wiced_hal_puart_select_uart_pads

Regards,

Anjana

lock attach

Hello AnjanaM_61

As per your suggestion, I have used PUART for debug logs and I did the same code as per your example. But still, it is not working I am getting below output.

**** App Start ****

incoming data: 255 255 255 0 0

**** App Ends ****

Also, I have checked the status value of wiced_hal_i2c_read() as well as wiced_hal_i2c_write() both are 0 which means it is showing as a success. but the value which I am receiving is not as per my expectation. Also, I have checked the sensor it is working with other controllers. So sensor is also not defected.

I have also attached the code for your reference.

Could you please check the code. One thing I don't understand here, there is no concept of mode? like I have given an example in my first post in PSOC creator there was I2C_1_I2C_MODE_NO_STOP parameter to wait for a response. like there is no such concept?

Thanks and regards,

Neeraj Dhekale

0 Likes

Hi NeDh_4602711 ,

Do you have a logic analyzer ? If then , can you probe the I2C & SDK lines and see if you can see the same data or not ?

Hope you have connected a common ground between the sensor and 343026 as well.

Also , could you please try by passing the slave address shifted by 1?

Say #define I2C_ADDRESS (0xYY >> 1) /*I2C sensor slave address*/

Regards,

Anjana

Hi Anjana,

Need to check on a logic analyzer. But I am getting the desired output on

CYPRESS’s CYBLE-0220001-00 module. Yes, I have connected common ground

between both.

Also tried using address shift by 1 as per your suggestion, but it is not

working.

I am still trying with all possible codes and connections.

Thanks and regards

Neeraj

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 2:43 PM, AnjanaM_61 <community-manager@cypress.com>

0 Likes
lock attach

Hello,

I have tested with all possible codes and connections. I thought there may be a problem with the CYBT-343026 module & I have tried even by replacing the controller. But facing the same issue. It is pretty straight forward. I wonder do really this module has I2C support? or there is an issue with library wiced_hal_i2c.h?

pastedImage_7.png

MLX90614 (I2C) device is very simple you have to write 0x07 / 0x06 in 0x5A address and you will get 2 bytes temperature data from 0x5A address. That's it.

Everytime when I call wiced_hal_i2c_write() and try to write data it returns value '1'. i.e.: Failure. I also tried to google it but there is no good example to get a hint of what's wrong in my code. Everywhere it is written for I2C in the CYBT modules- unfortunately example code is not available.

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong. Please help. The code file is attached for your reference.

Thanks and regards,

Neeraj

0 Likes

Hello,

I have checked on DSO by comparing signals from the CYBLE-022001-00 module with CYBT-343026-00 module.

First I have checked SDA and SCL signals when MLX90614 sensor connected to the CYBLE-022001-00 module.

SCL :

pastedImage_0.jpg

SDA:

pastedImage_1.jpg

Then I connect my MLX90614 sensor to CYBT343026 module and I got below signals on DSO

SCL:

pastedImage_3.jpg

SDA:

pastedImage_4.jpg

Please let me know what can be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Neeraj

0 Likes

Hello AnjanaM_61​,

The problem has been solved. The problem was in the I2C Slave address you had given a reply in #3​ and suggested to shift the slave address right by 1.

#define I2C_ADDRESS (0xYY >> 1) /*I2C sensor slave address*/

After checking the CYW920706WCDEVAL Hardware User Guide I saw the slave address shifted left by 1 and not right.

it should be #define I2C_ADDRESS (0xYY << 1) /*I2C sensor slave address*/

Also, there was 1 more change as my I2C sensor gives a response on demand (I2C write request) instead of using wiced_hal_i2c_write() and then wiced_hal_i2c_read() is used wiced_hal_i2c_combo_read() and it works for me.

Thank you so much for your help Anjana

Thanks and regards,

Neeraj

0 Likes

Hi NeDh_4602711 ,

Oh I am sorry I made the mistake in address shift.

Good to know that it worked for you. Thanks so much for the update.

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes