Multi Channel Concurrent AP+STA operation on CYW43903,CYW43907 or CYW54907

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PhEm_4732231
Level 1
Level 1

I require a WiFi part which can run concurrently in AP and STA modes on different channels.

I posted a similar question: https://community.cypress.com/message/242035?et=watches.email.outcome#242035 which was able to confirm that these parts support concurrent AP+STA operation, however I have been unable to confirm whether these can run on separate channels of the same band. Is this possible with any of these parts?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for the explanation. This indeed clears thing up.

1. You can use the WICED_CONFIG_INTERFACE (softAP interface essentially) in the device (referred as CYW4390x hereafter) and start a dns redirector + http(s) server to exchange data with phone.
  2. Now, you need the CYW4390x device in STA mode to connect to a router on channel 2. Again, you can perform wiced_network_up with the router credentials that is essentially available in channel 2. Now CYW4390x will need to move to channel 2; but while moving it will send out a csa element to associated devices in its BSS (as per 802.11h amendment); i.e to the end user's phone. Now with this announcement, phone should move to the new channel as per AP instructions.

Does that confuse you further or helps to get some clarity on this? If this does not help to answer the question or you want some better way to handle this, please let me know.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
RaktimR_11
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Can you provide a typical use-case scenario? This will help us answer your query in a pointed manner.

0 Likes

We need the part to onboard the device to the users WiFi using a mobile app. So the user connects to the micro AP of the device in order to pass along the WiFi credentials and have the device connect to the user's WiFi.

If multi-channel is not supported, then the user’s phone disconnects from the device when the device joins the home router on a different channel. And the user needs to re-connect to the device’s AP to learn about the success/fail status which we feel is a bad user experience.

The step by step scenario is:

- Device starts an AP on channel 1

- Phone joins device’s AP

- User inputs home wifi credentials on phone, and passed to device

- Device in STA mode joins home WiFi on channel 2. This switches device’s AP to channel 2 as well. The phone disconnects from device’s AP

- User needs to reconnect phone’s WiFi to device AP to see the join success/fail status!

Does that clarify things?
Thanks!

0 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. This indeed clears thing up.

1. You can use the WICED_CONFIG_INTERFACE (softAP interface essentially) in the device (referred as CYW4390x hereafter) and start a dns redirector + http(s) server to exchange data with phone.
  2. Now, you need the CYW4390x device in STA mode to connect to a router on channel 2. Again, you can perform wiced_network_up with the router credentials that is essentially available in channel 2. Now CYW4390x will need to move to channel 2; but while moving it will send out a csa element to associated devices in its BSS (as per 802.11h amendment); i.e to the end user's phone. Now with this announcement, phone should move to the new channel as per AP instructions.

Does that confuse you further or helps to get some clarity on this? If this does not help to answer the question or you want some better way to handle this, please let me know.

0 Likes