Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am about as new as a guy can get.  I am just learning C programming.  I have never used an Arm processor.  I have never used the WICED IDE.  I do have a few years of experience programming Microchip parts, but that was all in assembly.  I find a lot of the questions and answers on the forum assume a certain level of knowledge and are not very helpful for starters.  I am trying to develop a Wi-Fi device based on the BCM943341.  Is there a good resource to get information/training?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The “wiced_i2c_read(…)” and “wiced_i2c_write(…)” functions are only available for the BCM4390x MCU from Broadcom.

For other MCUs, such as STM32Fxxx, Atmel, NXP, etc, please use wiced_i2c_transfer(…) to interface to the I2C devices.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
ShawnA_01
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

The first thing to do, is download the latest SDK which is version 3.5.2 from here: WICED SDK 3.5.2 IDE Installer and .7z Source files

Follow the installer prompts. Afterwards, on the Project Explorer Tab (left side), expand the ~doc directory.  Inside there, read the Quick Start Guide (WICED-QSG204).pdf).

Explore all the nifty code-snippets found in the ~apps/snip directory.   Explore the more full-featured code samples found in ~apps/demo.

Read all the blogs:   WICED Wi-Fi Forums

Browse the forums!  There is more technical content in here than you can imagine.   Try not to create new discussions since they've most likely already been asked.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks shawn.  I appreciate the response.  As I said I am very new to all of this and a lot just goes over my head.  I have downloaded and installed the WICED SDK 3.5.2 IDE.  I have read the Quick Start Guide and run some of the demos.  I have spent hours searching the forums and have found some help.  Right now I am trying to do some simple read and write to an external I2C EEPROM.  I have downloaded and run the i2c_led.  This has helped me configure the SDA and SCL.  I do have those working.

Here is my main problem (and don't laugh).  I look at the APIs and I just don't understand enough to know how to use them.  I am looking for very simple examples on how to use wiced_i2c_init, wiced_i2c_read and wiced_i2c_write.

Are there any good resources to help a beginner to learn how to really use the APIs?  The WICED API Reference Guide does not have any real examples and is not helpful to a true beginner.

0 Likes

dmiller

The Zentri (formerly ACKme Networks)​ board is much better suited for a beginner as it provides a higher level interface for most functionality, yet still allows you to manipulate code to make changes.  Their OS/Application essentially runs on top of our WWD driver layer, so it is WICED based, but quite a bit more user friendly.

Take a look at some of the blogs that ndutton​ has created. 

The WICED SDK is better suited for developers with a few years of experience under their belt.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been given this as a project at work, so I have no choice except to learn the WICED SDK.  Hopefully I am not too stupid.  So let me ask a specific question.  I started with the i2c_led demo.  It builds and works.  So I tried adding wiced_i2c_read.  Now I get the following error:

WICED-SDK/WICED/platform/MCU/STM32F4xx/../wiced_platform_common.c:238: undefined reference to `platform_i2c_read'

tools/makefiles/wiced_elf.mk:224:

How do I fix that?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

dmiller,

if that question is to me.... ndutton;

then I would direct you to the I2C demo's in the ZentriOS SDK as a starting place.

We have multiple examples on the Zentri Docs page (http://docs.zentri.com).

I posted an example here: Beginners guide to ZentriOS : Simple 8x8 LED Matrix via I2C

I have both the WICED WiFi SDK 3.5.2 installed, and also the WICED (Blutooth Low Energy) SDK 2.2.2 installed -- neither one of these have the i2c_led demo file(s).   

Are you using the AppleHomekit enabled Broadcom SDK by chance? 

What does your make-target look like so I can try to reproduce your issue?

Does your source code have a #include wiced_platform.h statement and/or #include i2c.h in it -- at an acceptable location?  (again I have no way to test right now, so this is just a guess)

0 Likes

Hi,

A colleague informed me Broadcom offers an I2C LED example - which can get integrated into the Broadcom SDK. That blog is found here:  I2C Interface Example with WICED SDK-3.x

I took the platform.h and platform.c files form the Blog, put them into the SDK3.5.2 directory structure, and using snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4 as a make-target, I had No issue compiling the code.

Did you try to perform a make-clean before your experiment?  (I did).

14:43:54 **** Build of configuration Default for project WICED-SDK ****

"C:\\Users\\santol\\Documents\\WICED\\WICED-SDK-3.5.2\\WICED-SDK\\make.exe" snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4

MAKEFILE MAKECMDGOALS=snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4 OTA2_SUPPORT is disabled

Making config file for first time

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| IMPORTANT NOTES                                                                                     |

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Wi-Fi MAC Address                                                                                   |

|    The target Wi-Fi MAC address is defined in <WICED-SDK>/generated_mac_address.txt                 |

|    Ensure each target device has a unique address.                                                  |

| MCU & Wi-Fi Power Save                                                                              |

|    It is *critical* that applications using WICED Powersave API functions connect an accurate 32kHz |

|    reference clock to the sleep clock input pin of the WLAN chip. Please read the WICED Powersave   |

|    Application Note located in the documentation directory if you plan to use powersave features.   |

MAKEFILE MAKECMDGOALS=snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4 OTA2_SUPPORT is disabled

Building Bootloader

Finished Building Bootloader

Processing resources

Creating security credentials

Making DCT image

Compiling App_I2C_Led

Compiling Platform_BCM943362WCD4

Compiling WICED

Compiling Lib_SPI_Flash_Library_BCM943362WCD4

Compiling Lib_GPIO_button

Compiling WWD_ThreadX_Interface

Compiling WICED_ThreadX_Interface

Compiling WWD_for_SDIO_ThreadX

Compiling Supplicant_BESL

Compiling Lib_DNS

Compiling NetX_Duo

Compiling Lib_Wiced_RO_FS

Compiling STM32F2xx

Compiling Lib_TLV

Compiling Lib_base64

Compiling Lib_crypto_open

Compiling Lib_micro_ecc

Compiling WWD_NetX_Duo_Interface

Compiling WICED_NetX_Duo_Interface

Compiling common_GCC

Compiling STM32F2xx_Peripheral_Drivers

Compiling Lib_Ring_Buffer

Compiling Lib_crc

Compiling Lib_DHCP_Server

Compiling Lib_Linked_List

Compiling STM32F2xx_Peripheral_Libraries

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/App_I2C_Led.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Platform_BCM943362WCD4.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/WICED.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_SPI_Flash_Library_BCM943362WCD4.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_GPIO_button.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/WICED_ThreadX_Interface.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Supplicant_BESL.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_DNS.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/WWD_ThreadX_Interface.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/WWD_for_SDIO_ThreadX.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/NetX_Duo.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_Wiced_RO_FS.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/STM32F2xx.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_TLV.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_base64.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_micro_ecc.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/WICED_NetX_Duo_Interface.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/common_GCC.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_crypto_open.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/STM32F2xx_Peripheral_Drivers.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/WWD_NetX_Duo_Interface.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_Ring_Buffer.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_crc.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_DHCP_Server.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/Lib_Linked_List.a

Making build/snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4/libraries/STM32F2xx_Peripheral_Libraries.a

Making snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4.elf

Making snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4.bin

snip.i2c_led-BCM943362WCD4

----------------------------------|---------|---------|

|         |  Static |

Module              |  Flash  |   RAM   |

----------------------------------+---------+---------|

App                               |     878 |      12 |

crc                               |    1060 |       0 |

Host MCU-family library           |   13186 |    2485 |

Interrupt Vectors                 |     388 |       0 |

libc                              |   23423 |    3064 |

Networking                        |     941 |    8455 |

NetX-Duo - Interfaces & Stacks    |       0 |      16 |

Other                             |    3518 |      92 |

Packet Buffers                    |       0 |   23086 |

platform                          |    1076 |     168 |

RAM Initialisation                |    2324 |       0 |

resources                         |      16 |       0 |

Ring_Buffer                       |      92 |       0 |

Startup Stack & Link Script fill  |       9 |       3 |

ThreadX                           |    7668 |     396 |

Wi-Fi Firmware                    |  210624 |       0 |

WICED                             |    2731 |     928 |

WWD                               |   11450 |    2991 |

----------------------------------+---------+---------|

TOTAL (bytes)                     |  277060 |   41696 |

----------------------------------|---------|---------|

Build complete

Making .gdbinit

14:44:50 Build Finished (took 56s.81ms)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

shawn

I used the same i2c_led downloaded from the forums.  I was able to build and run on the BCM943341.

After running it, I tried to make a simple modification.  I declared an array (uint8_t EepromBuffer[256]) and added the following line: result = wiced_i2c_read(&i2c_device, 0, EepromBuffer, 8);  My hope was to read 8 bytes of data from an external EEPROM on the I2C bus.  Adding this line gave me this error:

WICED-SDK/WICED/platform/MCU/STM32F4xx/../wiced_platform_common.c:238: undefined reference to `platform_i2c_read'

tools/makefiles/wiced_elf.mk:224: recipe for target 'build/demo.i2c

wiced_i2c_read is taken from the API.  Why would this create a problem?  How do I correct it?

0 Likes

The function declaration of wiced_i2c_read() states:  wiced_result_t wiced_i2c_read( const wiced_i2c_device_t* device, uint16_t flags, void* buffer, uint16_t buffer_length )

From this, the first parameter passed is a pointer to a static structure of type wiced_i2c_device_t.  I suspect you've never created this data structure in your code - which is why you're getting the undefined reference to `platform_i2c_read'.

For example, there is an example structure found in ~libraries/drivers/power_management/max17040/max17040.c stating:

static wiced_i2c_device_t maxim17040 =

{

.port          = WICED_I2C_1,

.address       = 0x36,

.address_width = I2C_ADDRESS_WIDTH_7BIT,

.flags         = 0,

.speed_mode    = I2C_HIGH_SPEED_MODE,

};

Later in this same code we see:

/* Read bytes from maxim register address into read_buffer */

if (wiced_i2c_read(&maxim17040, WICED_I2C_REPEATED_START_FLAG | WICED_I2C_STOP_FLAG, read_buffer, read_buffer_size) != WICED_SUCCESS)

{

return WICED_ERROR;

}

In your firmware, you are trying:  result = wiced_i2c_read(&i2c_device, 0, EepromBuffer, 😎

Do you have a wiced_i2c_device_t structure declared for i2c_device representing the physical I2C EEPROM on your board?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

shawn,

I modified the original wiced_i2c_device_t that is in the i2c_led.c

static wiced_i2c_device_t i2c_device =

{

.port          = WICED_I2C_1,

.address       = 0x50,

.address_width = I2C_ADDRESS_WIDTH_7BIT,

.speed_mode    = I2C_STANDARD_SPEED_MODE,

};

When I run the code with no other changes it does work and I am getting results from my I2C device.  I wanted to use the i2c_read API as a simple way to read my device.  My application requires a simple routine to read the external EEPROM at power up.  It will write data occasionally, but only when there is new data to be stored.  It is actually very simple or at least it should be.

0 Likes

The “wiced_i2c_read(…)” and “wiced_i2c_write(…)” functions are only available for the BCM4390x MCU from Broadcom.

For other MCUs, such as STM32Fxxx, Atmel, NXP, etc, please use wiced_i2c_transfer(…) to interface to the I2C devices.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I ask where you found that little bit of info?  Thanks for finding it and letting me know.

0 Likes

After you install a fresh copy of the SDK, you should Index the files to make the search results valid.

To do that, Right Click WICED-SDK in the Project Explorer Tab, then Index|Rebuild, as shown below:

pastedImage_0.png

Afterwards, Do a File Search (via CTRL-H) in Eclipse for "wiced_i2c_read".   Expand the Search Tab on the right and you'll see it lives in wiced_platform_common.c (look at Line 229).  Ultimately, at the bottom of that function you can see the lower level function called "platform_i2c_read" gets invoked:

pastedImage_1.png

When you then search for that function, you see that it only exists in the ~platforms/MCU/BCM4390x directory:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes