USB CDC port not found on Android

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SaMa_4682226
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I'm using a USB CDC serial port on a PSOC 62.  Everything works fine on windows.  However, Android seems unable to detect the port.  What might I try?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi SaMa_4682226​,

Since you mentioned that you are using same cable in both config 1 and config 3, can you please check that if USB Host is supplying 5V  Vdd to the USB device? If possible, can you attach a clear snap of your cable connection of both config 1 and config 3?

Also, as an alternative you are power PSoC board power using external supply.

Best Regards,

Aashita

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Aashita_R
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi SaMa_4682226​,

Can you please explain what android application are you implementing with PSoC 62 ? Which code example are you following - Is it USB_CDC using Modus Toolbox or PSoC Creator? 

Also, Can you please attach your project ? This will help us look into the issue properly.

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes

Aashita,

Environment: PSOC Creator 4.3

Hardware: Psoc 6 wifi-bt pioneer

For simplicity sake, I’m also having the issue with CE223368 – PSoC 6 MCU: USB CDC Echo Application.

I have problems with an Android 9 Lenovo Tab M7 (micro USB).

I’ve checked the USB cable.

Everything works fine with a PC or Android 9 Moto X4 (usb C)

Also problematic, Android 7 Moto G4 (micro USB)

Interestingly, the USB C device will power the Psoc board, and both micro USB devices will not.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi SaMa_4682226​,

I was trying to recreate the issue on my end. Can you please let us know how are you connecting the PSoC device with your devices implementing android application? Are you using a type C to type A cable to connect to your smartphone? Is it that you are then using OTG cable for connecting micro USB devices, such as Android 7 Moto G4 or Android 9 Lenovo Tab M7?

Also, how are checking that the device is able to detect the port?  How are you checking for your PC  or Android 9 Moto X4, where the PSoC device is detected with the help of type C cable?

Thanks and Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes

Aashita,

CONFIG 1 - working

PSOC app: CE223368 – PSoC 6 MCU: USB CDC Echo Application

Hardware: Psoc 6 wifi-bt pioneer (USB C)

Cable: USB C to USB A

Master: PC (USB A)

Terminal: RealTerm Serial Capture 2.0.0.70

CONFIG 2 - working

Cable: USB C to USB C cable

Master: Android 9 Moto X4 (USB C)

Terminal: Serial USB Terminal 1.36

CONFIG 3 - broken

Cable: USB C to micro USB cable (cable works in config 1 with an added micro to usb A)

Master: Android 9 Lenovo Tab M7 (micro USB)  or  Android 7 Moto G4 (micro USB)

Terminal: Serial USB Terminal 1.36

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi SaMa_4682226​,

Can you please check for the Vdd when the cable is connected in CONFIG 3? It seems that the USB 5V is not powering the PSoC.

Also, Can you check that the firmware is running or not? You can add a line of code to blink an LED in the USB CDC Echo Application and then try to run the project. This will help us understand the issue properly.

Please update the results here.

Thanks and Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes

Aashita,

In my main code, not the demo code, I have a watchdog LED. 

In config 1 and 2, the board is powered with only the USB device cable plugged in (debugger unplugged), or both USB device and debugger.
In config 3, the board is powered only from the debugger.  Unplug the debugger, and no psoc 6 pioneer board power.

So, you seem correct, in config 3, USB debugger does not power the board.

Thanks,
Sam

0 Likes

Hi SaMa_4682226​,

Since you mentioned that you are using same cable in both config 1 and config 3, can you please check that if USB Host is supplying 5V  Vdd to the USB device? If possible, can you attach a clear snap of your cable connection of both config 1 and config 3?

Also, as an alternative you are power PSoC board power using external supply.

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes

Config 1 cable: USB C to USB A (supplied with PSOC 6 pioneer kit).  (picture left)

Config 2 cable: USB C to USB C (not shown)

Config 3 cable: USB C to USB micro  or  USB C to USB A + USB A to USB micro (picture left + right)

Config 1&2: android device will power the PSOC

Config 3: android device does not power the PSOC, power supplied via kitprog USB connector.

0 Likes

Hi SaMa_4682226​,

I am unable to open the attached image. It throws an error like below-

pastedImage_0.png

Can you please re- attach the image? You can do so by -> open the image in paint -> select image ->right click -> copy.

Then paste the image directly here.

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes

Aashita,

The problem was with the Android device.  All devices work now. 

"Serial USB Terminal" is an easy to use solution.

Thanks,
Sam

0 Likes