I have created a KiCad library for PSoC 4200 Family parts

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JaBo_1574611
Level 4
Level 4
5 questions asked First question asked First solution authored

I needed a KiCad library for the PSoC 4200 Family of MCUs, and I could not find one (Cypress had libraries for Allegro, Altium, and Pads, but not KiCad), so I created one myself. It can be downloaded from this page: PSoC 4200 MCU Family Library for KiCad.

The library contains a complete set of schematic symbols, and all associated footprints and 3D models not included in the standard libraries (the WLCSP package in this case), for doing designs with KiCad using any of the PSoC 4200 Family of MCUs. It includes support for all five packages available: CY8C42xxAXx (44-pin TQFP), CY8C42xxAZx (48-pin TQFP), CY8C42xxFNx (35-ball WLCSP), CY8C42xxLQx (40-pad QFN), and CY8C42xxPVx (28-pin SSOP). The schematic symbols show the pin functionality available for its associated package. Note that the internal configuration between the different models of the PSoC 4200 using the same package are not shown (it’s a generic schematic symbol and associated footprint that will work for all of the variations that use the same package). The secondary port functions that are common across all variants of the part in a particular package are shown. Specifically, the external voltage reference, wake up, external clock, and Serial-Wire Debug (SWD) pin associations are all shown.

The library archive contains a README.TXT file with a description of the library and installation instructions to use it with KiCad. The LICENSE.TXT file contains the license it was released under. Fyi, the license is effectively same as the KiCad Library License: the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license with an exception to allow any works that use the library to be unencumbered by any particular licensing restrictions (again, see the KiCad Library License or the LICENSE.TXT file distributed with the archive).

4 Replies
user_4644856
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First like given

Perfect! I finally found this! Thank you for your work, I can't even tell you how much time you saved me! What's good about Kicad compared to Allegro and Altium is the capability to work with 3d files in WRL format, and now I don't have to worry about file converters and stuff. Now I've got a full cycle to work with WRL extention: Artec Studio -> Solidworks -> Kicad, and this is very convenient. Thank you so much!

Hi, I just wanted to say that it was an absolute joy to read your message (sorry it took me so long to reply). Knowing that it helped even one other person (besides myself) is wonderful!

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

Thanks for the effort you have taken in developing the library and sharing it with the community. We appreciate this.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

Thanks Vasanth, I hope it saves some people some time.

I looked into getting added to the official KiCad library, but they are currently changing the way libraries are done, there are many hoops to jump through, and I just don't have the time or energy right now to go through the process. Maybe after version 6 is released I will give it a try. With that said, if anyone reading this wants to get it in now, I'll do what I can to support them.

All the best,

James

0 Likes