Reading an external DK through CY8CKIT-059 over UART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DyTh_4706381
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to read a Nordic nRF52840 over UART through the CY8CKIT-059. So far I've used an example project to read a hardcoded message (Hello World) over USBUART from the -059 to the PC, but now I'd like to change the hardcoded message to the Rx channel on the -059 so it will display data coming from an external board.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello DyTh_4706381

As per my understanding you are trying to communicate between CY8CKIT-059 kit and the Nordic nRF52840 using the USB UART interface.

Can you please confirm if the nRF52480 can act as a USB Host? Since PSoC 5LP on the CY8CKIT-059 is capable of acting as USB device only. Please feel free to correct me if my understanding of the issue is wrong.

You can refer to the USB_UART code example that we have for the PSoC 5LP device: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/ce95396-usb-uart-psoc-35lp

This code example demonstrates the USBUART implementation. It echoes received data to the Virtual COM port terminal.

In your case the data needs to be send to and received from nRF52840 I guess.

Kindly let me know if you have further queries on this and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards

Ekta

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello DyTh_4706381

As per my understanding you are trying to communicate between CY8CKIT-059 kit and the Nordic nRF52840 using the USB UART interface.

Can you please confirm if the nRF52480 can act as a USB Host? Since PSoC 5LP on the CY8CKIT-059 is capable of acting as USB device only. Please feel free to correct me if my understanding of the issue is wrong.

You can refer to the USB_UART code example that we have for the PSoC 5LP device: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/ce95396-usb-uart-psoc-35lp

This code example demonstrates the USBUART implementation. It echoes received data to the Virtual COM port terminal.

In your case the data needs to be send to and received from nRF52840 I guess.

Kindly let me know if you have further queries on this and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes

Hello EktaN_26,

Thank you for the example project, coincidentally it was the same one I started working with. I have found that the nRF52840 is not capable of being a USB host. What I wanted to do was to be able to stream data from the nRF52840 into the CY8CKIT-059 to validate UART communication. I found this article (attached below) and have been trying to recreate/modify it to suit our needs. I apologize in advance for my lack of software knowledge .

Thank you for your support,

Dylan

(article I'm recreating)

https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/dev-tools/article/21799872/uart-validation-automation-...

0 Likes